Scotts riding mower carb problem

Orangegud

Threads
I have a walbro carb from a john deer/scotts S1742 17 h.p. intek motor. trying to find a float for the carb, cannot find floats only, way too many no.'s to input. went to jack's small eng., amazon, ebay. carb says 5-4993

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is just a casting number for the generic base LMT carburetor. Need the model, type, and date code from the engine to look-up the correct parts as there are many version of this base carburetor. But it does appears to be Briggs PN 494381.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had ok luck with Chinese carbs. I've purchased like 2 or 3. Those are huge numbers to go by LOL. Got to set the standard right? :giggle:

slomo

Orangegud

Threads
I've had ok luck with Chinese carbs. I've purchased like 2 or 3. Those are huge numbers to go by LOL. Got to set the standard right? :giggle:

slomo
man o' chevis! aftwer a whole afternoon i did find what i was lookin for. thanx forum, u guys are great

keakar

Threads
Can't prove it to me when results for me have been 9 out 10 fail to operate properly. Plus I don't have the time to order, ship back, re-order again then after two weeks of fighting the vendor having send the second one back with finally order the OEM carbs. But of course I operate a business of repairing equipment and can not have these kinda of problems.

The Chinese are sorta like fire ants. Oh one hill is no problem and then before you know it have 10+ hills. And stepping on one those hills in the middle of the night is as fun as H*** especially when you have allergic reation to them.
i have had a few problems where 2 or 3 out of 12 i bought had to be sent back but its not a big deal and i keep 5 or 6 on hand at all times, i just make sure to test them all when they arrive to be sure they work before i stock them on the shelf. on average i rarely have bad ones but sometimes its been like 1 in 10 i find defective so i guess they have bad production batches making them so cheap

in most cases i buy the rebuild kits and just use the float needles and replace them in every mower i work on if it was running fine, if not then i give it a full clean and going through

i do understand and agree, nothing is better then having a genuine original part but the engine mfg are now using the same cheap chinese carbs themselves so unless you buy commercial equipt you arent going to have a "better" carb on it then the ebay one you buy

Last edited:

Orangegud

Threads
Well Forum, it's a done deal! I replaced the brass seat, the needle valve and the float. We achieved NIRVANA! To ALL on this Forum, Thank You.