Scotts riding mower carb problem

Orangegud

Threads
Hello Forum. I have a Scotts riding mower / M# 311777 I had hydrolocking, so i cleaned the carb thru and thru, but gas is still running right thru. what do i need to replace on this rather than buy a new carb. Float was working fine, solenoid was working as well. Not many parts to this. I can buy a new carb for 23 bux. Any thoughts?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post engine make & all numbers from engine. An original B&S carburetor at an excellent price. Some are over $200.

see illustrated parts list pages 14-17.https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-799727-Carburetor-Replaces/dp/B0088E8N2W

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
float is not working fine if t is flooding enough to be hydro locking,
HAve you remove to old contaminated oil ?

Orangegud

Threads
float is not working fine if t is flooding enough to be hydro locking,
HAve you remove to old contaminated oil ?
yes i did. new filter, oil as well. Funny, the float was moving freely withe needle nice and clean to start. i did not check the float for cracks, i forgot!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
with the carb upside down the float weight should be enough to prevent you blowing into the float chamber.
One of the techs here did put a number on this which was 3 to 7 psi if you have a pressure pump,
This sounds right because impulse pumps put out 5 to 15 psi

Orangegud

Threads
with the carb upside down the float weight should be enough to prevent you blowing into the float chamber.
One of the techs here did put a number on this which was 3 to 7 psi if you have a pressure pump,
This sounds right because impulse pumps put out 5 to 15 psi
t-u, i'll see what i come up with

Orangegud

Threads
Post engine make & all numbers from engine. An original B&S carburetor will be expensive, I would purchase a rebuild kit, original B&S parts.
M # 311777; Type 0143-E1; Code 000315ZE

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably still got the original Nikki carburetor on it. If so the float bowl gasket should be replaced. They tend to go bad and cause leakage. It only takes nick in these gaskets to cause problems. Briggs supersede the Nikki to a Walbro LMT but have since superseded back to the Nikki.

But if you want to buy that $23 carburetor. Go ahead and get one, it may work and may not work properly; but go ahead and support the Chinese cloners. This why the Chinese is taking over the industry with their junk. Personally would rather repair a known good carburetor. Both the Walbro and Nikki rebuild kits are only around $47 retail and besides if it is the Nikki the $7 bowl gasket usually fixes most leakage problems. Of course a good ultrasonic cleaning doesn't hurt to done too.

keakar

Threads
Hello Forum. I have a Scotts riding mower / M# 311777 I had hydrolocking, so i cleaned the carb thru and thru, but gas is still running right thru. what do i need to replace on this rather than buy a new carb. Float was working fine, solenoid was working as well. Not many parts to this. I can buy a new carb for 23 bux. Any thoughts?
buy the new carb and be done with it, ebay has lots of them for $16 and free shipping

ignore startech talking about chinese carbs, you arent going to ruin the economy if you buy one and they are good carbs

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can't prove it to me when results for me have been 9 out 10 fail to operate properly. Plus I don't have the time to order, ship back, re-order again then after two weeks of fighting the vendor having send the second one back with finally order the OEM carbs. But of course I operate a business of repairing equipment and can not have these kinda of problems.

The Chinese are sorta like fire ants. Oh one hill is no problem and then before you know it have 10+ hills. And stepping on one those hills in the middle of the night is as fun as H*** especially when you have allergic reation to them.