Scott's 2554 issue

Smurfy76

Threads
So here is the issue. The engine is strong but after it is going forward awhile it starts to move slowly this was donated to me by my church as they couldn't figure it out so I'm hoping to get it fixed. Any thoughts on to wear to begin at are appreciated. I also know it has a Kohler engine.

upupandaway

Threads
It doesn't have 6 set speeds right? If so, the transmission works by pumping fluid and not by direct gear drive. (I found pics but don't see a spec what trans u have)

Check the trans fluid level. Just being low, maybe it is overheating- parts expanding as you drive it??? Being it pumps oil to drive the mower, maybe low level is your whole problem.
Or maybe the fluid is old\thick and needs change????

Worst case- the trans is worn out. TuffTorque(likely maker of trans) does sell a rebuild kit if that is the case. Its not very difficult to do. ps. add a drain plug-drill and tap a drain bolt(actually 2 on mine) if u rebuild and have it open.

Smurfy76

Threads
It doesn't have 6 set speeds right? If so, the transmission works by pumping fluid and not by direct gear drive. (I found pics but don't see a spec what trans u have)

Check the trans fluid level. Just being low, maybe it is overheating- parts expanding as you drive it??? Being it pumps oil to drive the mower, maybe low level is your whole problem.

Worst case- the trans is worn out. TuffTorque(likely maker of trans) does sell a rebuild kit if that is the case. Its not very difficult to do. ps. add a drain plug-drill and tap a drain bolt(actually 2 on mine) if u rebuild and have it open.
I looked up the model and it's a k66 trans. So from I was told they had done a oil change on the transacle. Its just weird that going into reverse than forward it's fine for awhile. So idk I was already thinking of a rebuild when they told me about it

Smurfy76

Threads

This is the link for it.

D

Deleted member 97405

This machine has a hydrostatic transmission in it. This means it has an oil pump which pumps oil into a hydraulic motor to drive the differential/wheels. As these units age, they wear and get weak when warmed up. Changing the fluid can sometimes help, but usually the internal components are worn. When this happens, the transmission will drive fine, or relatively fine, when cold, but, once it warms up, it gets weaker or doesn't drive at all. These were light duty transmissions to begin with. Using this transmission on hills will accelerate the internal wear. Couple that with the age of the machine, I bet the trans is just plain worn out. Not bad for a machine that was only engineered to last 5-7 years when built! That is Deere's expected lifespan for this line of tractors. A lot of people don't know that. But the fact that these machines almost always last much longer than that timeframe is a testament to Deere's mission to exceed the expectations of their equipment. The Scotts was Deere's entry into the lower end market at the Home Depot stores back in the day. The Sabre line was sold at Lowes. I could get into a whole discussion about these machines, but that is the jist of it in a nutshell.

Smurfy76

Threads

This is the link for it.

This machine has a hydrostatic transmission in it. This means it has an oil pump which pumps oil into a hydraulic motor to drive the differential/wheels. As these units age, they wear and get weak when warmed up. Changing the fluid can sometimes help, but usually the internal components are worn. When this happens, the transmission will drive fine, or relatively fine, when cold, but, once it warms up, it gets weaker or doesn't drive at all. These were light duty transmissions to begin with. Using this transmission on hills will accelerate the internal wear. Couple that with the age of the machine, I bet the trans is just plain worn out. Not bad for a machine that was only engineered to last 5-7 years when built! That is Deere's expected lifespan for this line of tractors. A lot of people don't know that. But the fact that these machines almost always last much longer than that timeframe is a testament to Deere's mission to exceed the expectations of their equipment. The Scotts was Deere's entry into the lower end market at the Home Depot stores back in the day. The Sabre line was sold at Lowes. I could get into a whole discussion about these machines, but that is the jist of it in a nutshell.
so im curious if it is worth the money. it was kept up with but from what i found the rebuild kit is also 400+ dollars. also is there anything else i should look at, if it was a bad pump would going in reverse than forward cause it to run ok for a lil while?

D

Deleted member 97405

The trans is definitely done. The reverse ports probably aren't worn as badly as the forward ports. This is why it likes reverse a bit more than forward, but the trans is still needing replaced/rebuilt. I can tell you it is a tedious job unless you pay someone to do it. Depending on the shop, they may not touch it because you're putting more in it than the tractor is worth, and they can get burned if you decide to abandon the machine. Not saying you'll do this! Just telling you what their mindset may be because they deal with this possibility every day. This is where the repair vs replace decision comes in play. Of course, you need to factor in the current economy and your budget as well. A direct replacement machine is the S180(2yr warranty), which will retail for $3599 in 2023. That is a 23hp machine with 54" deck. Compare that against the dealer exclusive model of X380(4yr warranty) with 54" deck which will retail for $5799 in 2023. The S180 is built on that 5-7 year lifespan, but will probably last 10 years if maintained and not used on hills. The X380 will last at minimum twice as long in the same conditions. IF you have hills, then we're looking at the X570(4yr warranty), which has a transmission designed for that landscape, and it will retail for $8099 in 2023, and it is a 20 year machine as well. Deere currently has 0% for 9 months or 1.9%/48 months financing available. Here are the facts, now it's up to you to decide which best fits your needs. Good luck!

Smurfy76

Threads
The trans is definitely done. The reverse ports probably aren't worn as badly as the forward ports. This is why it likes reverse a bit more than forward, but the trans is still needing replaced/rebuilt. I can tell you it is a tedious job unless you pay someone to do it. Depending on the shop, they may not touch it because you're putting more in it than the tractor is worth, and they can get burned if you decide to abandon the machine. Not saying you'll do this! Just telling you what their mindset may be because they deal with this possibility every day. This is where the repair vs replace decision comes in play. Of course, you need to factor in the current economy and your budget as well. A direct replacement machine is the S180(2yr warranty), which will retail for $3599 in 2023. That is a 23hp machine with 54" deck. Compare that against the dealer exclusive model of X380(4yr warranty) with 54" deck which will retail for $5799 in 2023. The S180 is built on that 5-7 year lifespan, but will probably last 10 years if maintained and not used on hills. The X380 will last at minimum twice as long in the same conditions. IF you have hills, then we're looking at the X570(4yr warranty), which has a transmission designed for that landscape, and it will retail for $8099 in 2023, and it is a 20 year machine as well. Deere currently has 0% for 9 months or 1.9%/48 months financing available. Here are the facts, now it's up to you to decide which best fits your needs. Good luck!
I have another mower that runs great. This was a side project as it was free. I wish I could swap the engine into my John Deere l111 as it's a way more powerful engine

Smurfy76

Threads
Also yes its fine in reverse but after I go in reverse it will go forward with no problem for awhile. That is what's confusing me

upupandaway

Threads
The reverse ports probably aren't worn as badly as the forward ports.
Actually, it doesn't have Fwd and Rev ports. The first piston pump only tilts to change the order the pistons-the direction it pumps fluid- thus the direction the mower moves.