Scag Turf Tiger blowing 20 amp fuses!!

Wiredog79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently replaced my key switch item# 48798 on my turf tiger. Now I've got my 20 amp fuses being blown. Model # STT61A-29KA-DFI Serial # 940 0293.
Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is 48798 OEM Scag ignition switch for your Turf Tiger? Why did you replace key switch? Check all wiring at switch & elsewhere making sure connections are tight & secure. Last resort, remove fuse box & look underneath for wires chafing, being loose, disconnected, etc. You may want to remove ground cable from battery for Safety on this one. A bare wire chafing frame or anything else can take some time so be patient & let us know what you find, thanks, Mark

Do you wash your Scag mower often?

Last edited:

Wiredog79

Forum Newbie
Threads
48798 is the correct OEM Scag ignition for my mower. I replaced the the key switch because i had a wire (the yellow wire) burned out and the switch looked really rusty on the bottom of it. I checked all my wires and came up with nothing. It's still blowing the 20 amp fuses on the yellow wire. Now my battery will not stay charged and my PTO switch
stopped working today. The mower started skipping and spitting today also with my blades engaged.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What the Kawasaki engine model and spec number? According the wiring diagram that yellow goes to the engine wiring harness so I need to look at its wiring diagram.

Wiredog79

Forum Newbie
Threads
What the Kawasaki engine model and spec number? According the wiring diagram that yellow goes to the engine wiring harness so I need to look at its wiring diagram.

Engine FD791D-A

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Looks like you have a bad voltage regulator.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
How often do you wash your mower? Disconnect your negative ground cable from battery & charge battery with 10amps overnight. If your battery has caps, remove & check acid level in cells, if low fill with distilled water before charging. Wear Safety Glasses! Use eyes & hands, you have a loose ground wire or a hot wire touching ground. Check PTO clutch connection then check air gap at three windows in clutch, gap should be .010. Whenever replacing electrical components on your machine, always remove ground cable from battery first & place out of way of battery negative post, cover negative post with shop rag, use a jumper wire with alligator clips & connect to positive post on battery & negative cable that has been removed from battery for 2 to 3 minutes. This will allow computer module, relays, etc. time to reset themselves. Harbor Freight has jumper wires with alligator clips. Perform this task last after completing electrical work. The same remedy can be performed on an automobile with "CHECK ENGINE" light staying on. Several months ago my nephews family came to visit & started talking about his wifes vehicle "CHECK ENGINE" light staying on for two years or more. I asked my nephew if work had been done on vehicle recently & which shop performed repairs replacing electrical components. My youngest son grabbed a jumper wire & performed above procedure, nephew installed key in ignition started vehicles engine & looked at instrument cluster then turned to my son & I saying, that's the first time in two or more years light did not come on.

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:

Wiredog79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for replying back. I’ve got it in the shop at the moment. I’m hoping to get some good news this week. But I’ll keep you up to date on what the outcome will be.

Wiredog79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for replying back. I’ve got it in the shop at the moment. I’m hoping to get some good news this week. But I’ll keep you up to date on what the outcome will be.
Got my Scag out of the shop. Got a new starter and a new fuse harness installed. It’s running fine at the moment. 83A4050F-EA70-4BF7-8E5B-36CF8BD3B317.jpeg7799DC11-743C-486E-8875-6A22CD8BB775.jpeg