Repairs Scag Tiger Cub pulsating when moving uphill

kendm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 Tiger Cub with the Kaw 19 hp engine and it pulsates when going up hills on the right hand side pump??? Also cant get to start with key any longer but think I can figure that one out from past posts here.. has 700 hours and only does my 2.5 acres every week, bought 7 years ago with 120 hours. Admitting I have only changed the hydraulics one time based on smell,if it smelled good I left it.. changed it 2 years ago.. this pulsating was present when I first bought it but I have just learned not to force it and take my time allowing it to settle down.

Attachments

• scag1.JPG
    scag1.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 20
  • scag2.jpg
    scag2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 8
  • scag3.jpg
    scag3.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 4
  • scaghours.JPG
    scaghours.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 6
  • scag4 (2).JPG
    scag4 (2).JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 5
  • scag5.JPG
    scag5.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 7
  • scag7.JPG
    scag7.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 7
  • scagmower.JPG
    scagmower.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 9
Threads
I have a 2004 Tiger Cub with the Kaw 19 hp engine and it pulsates when going up hills on the right hand side pump??? Also cant get to start with key any longer but think I can figure that one out from past posts here.. has 700 hours and only does my 2.5 acres every week, bought 7 years ago with 120 hours. Admitting I have only changed the hydraulics one time based on smell,if it smelled good I left it.. changed it 2 years ago.. this pulsating was present when I first bought it but I have just learned not to force it and take my time allowing it to settle down.

Is there anyway to purge it to make sure there is no air in there?

kendm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dont know? Is there? I am minimally mechanically inclined but manage my way through things when told what to do.. I am not good at evaluating what is wrong.

Last edited:
Threads
Dont know? Is there? I am minimally mechanically inclined but manage my way through things when told what to do.. I am not good at evaluating what is wrong.

Not sure some pumps are, and some are not maybe someone will know for sure. I just thought with the pulsating you describe it sounds like air in the line passing through the pump/ wheel motor.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The hydraulic systems on Tiger Cubs is pretty much self bleeding as it is running.
I suggest the you remove the hydraulic oil filter, cut it open and check for metal contamination. Bear in mind that when this filter is removed, all the oil in the hyd reservoir will drain out so be prepared for this. Look at the oil to see if it appears to have any metallic contamination in it and stick a magnet in the oil to see if it picks up any ferrous metal particles.
I would also check the linkages connecting the travel levers to the pump controls making sure that they are secure and operation correctly.
If either pump and or wheel motor is failing, the entire hydraulic system will be contaminated as they are fed from a single reservoir.
Mad Mackie in CT