Engine Scag Tiger Cub blown Engine

meanie2169

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a 2003 Scag tiger cub witha honda gxv670taf2, it blew up with only 500 hours on it, i want to replace it with something else, does anyone know what i could replace it with? thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why not another Honda? I have alway heard that they make a good engine. There has to be a reason the engine blow up with only 500 hrs. on it ?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check with the Small Engine Warehouse to see what they suggest.

meanie2169

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why not another Honda? I have alway heard that they make a good engine. There has to be a reason the engine blow up with only 500 hrs. on it ?

Because Honda's have a history of blowing up on hills, which is what happened to mine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What do you mean blow up? Like a bomb going off inside the engine and not fixable. If this is happening on hills it sure sounds like a lack of oil to something and high RPM's for this to happen with only 500 hr. This must be more then a one time thing for you and other owners of Honda's. Has this been brought up to Honda and they just don't care, if so I can sure see why you don't like Honda engines. I have always had good luck with my Honda products but I don't have hills. My two mowers have kohler engines and they also have been problem free other then I just had to replace the oil cooler on my 22 hp command engine after 11 years. Scag Tiger Cub must of had different make engines and I don't see why it would be that hard of a job to change over to a different type of engine. What ever engine you choose I sure hope you the best of luck on your hills.

meanie2169

Forum Newbie
Threads
My engine blew a rod on one side of the engine, its more than a new engine to fix the one side, was a strong believer in honda, but after this and hearing that honda's over 13 hp aren't very good, i'd like something different

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a repair job at I worked on a few years ago. It was a Kohler magnum that a rod broke. The customer ran it low on oil. I had the same thing happen to a B&S. That is why I was wondering if it is a oil problem running it on hills. This can happen to any engine if you don't get a good oil flow to the rod bearings. This must of happen more then once to say all larger Honda engines are no good. Maybe this should be brought up to Honda as to if they would care or not. Did you take it apart and try to determine as to why it broke, a oil problem or just a poor design? If it was me I would like to know why this happen before I spent money on a different engine.