Scag TC2 loosing power

BrentW

Threads
My Scag Tiger Cat 2 61 inch with 29 Kohler EFI is having issues. When starting sometimes it sounds like it on one cylinder until it warms up. Main issue is it run strong until the PTO is engaged then it starts popping and sputtering. This happens even when I am on concrete with the deck up also. It would die when it happens mowing grass and it does this at random ties. I have changed the pulse fuel pump, fuel filter and air filter. I can pull off the plug wire at idle and know that they are both firing then at least. Unit has 350 hours on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m thinking you have a bad head gasket on one or both cylinders. First thing I would do is go to one the the auto parts stores and get a leak down tester and check each cylinder. Many rent them out for a deposit, which is returned when you bring back the tool.

BrentW

Threads
I’m thinking you have a bad head gasket on one or both cylinders. First thing I would do is go to one the the auto parts stores and get a leak down tester and check each cylinder. Many rent them out for a deposit, which is returned when you bring back the tool.
I have thought that too but it only happening randomly throws me off. Maybe once an hour it does this. When I first got it someone filled the gas tanks all the way up and it ran rough like it is now. Canisters had gas in them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be. That’s why I suggested getting a leak down tester to see if we are loosing compression somewhere. If everything in the cylinders are good we then start looking at ignition or fuel problems.

BrentW

Threads
Could be. That’s why I suggested getting a leak down tester to see if we are loosing compression somewhere. If everything in the cylinders are good we then start looking at ignition or fuel problems.
I just mowed with it and it was fine for the first 30 minutes. Started backfiring and loosing power at full throttle. I reduced it a half throttle and finished up my yard very slowly. Will run lower throttle fine but not high throttle with the pop engaged. Gonna park it for a few days while I go back to work. I will tear into it later. Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Water in the gas? Are you using E-10 fuel?

Drain, flush and inspect what comes out of the fuel tank.

See what your fuel pressure should be in your engine manual. Insert a fuel pressure gauge and see what you get.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you checked the vent hose on the fuel pump module. Is it stopped up or is there fuel in the hose when you pull the hose off. You did not post the Model number off the engine. That would help to be able to look up the engine. You might be ahead of the game to take it to someone that has the Kohler software to read the codes on the engine.

Last edited:

BrentW

Threads
Got the mower to the shop and it showed a lean fault. They checked the high pressure pump and it was only pushing 10 psi. Waiting on the part and will follow up if it was successful. The engine is a Kohler ecv860.

BrentW

Threads
This has turned into an ordeal. A Scag dealer had it in their shop for a week and called me to tell me it was fixed. They said they changed out the high pressure pump and a coil. I made the 1.5 hour drive to get it and was charged $988 for the fix. I went outside of the repair office to get it and when cranking it was backfiring very bad. Would not even move. The shop foreman heard the racket and said that that machine is not leaving here. He said it would be fixed and delivered to me for no charge, The next day it was delivered to my house and it was raining so i pulled it straight into my shop. I went out to my shop as soon as the rain let up and the mower is only running on one cylinder. I on the reciept it said customer had the fuel on reserve and not the main tank. This is confusing because there is no reserve tank just and left and right. I called the next morning to tell the shop of this and they said they could pick it back up in a few days but I offered to bring in back immediately if that could speed the process up. They have it again for the 3rd time and I am waiting to hear from them now. I just really need to mow my yard. The unit is only a year out of warranty and has 360 hours all of which was on my personal yard. Anyone have a similar experience or idea of what could be wrong?