Scag STHM Will not Start

GreaseMonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
New to this forum. My SCAG STHM (Kohler 22 hp) stalled yesterday afternoon. Tried to restart and it would just crank. Noticed there was a lot of pressure in the gas tank so I relieved that. Gas level appeared okay. Left it set for a few hours, then went out to try to start it. The engine would not even turn over. Checked all the fluids and they seemed fine. Today went out and tried to start it. It would now turn over. Checked the gas tank and it was really low. Put more fuel in it, tried to start and no go. Decided I would try some starting fluid. Took the air cleaner cover off and noticed that the foam filter is soaked with gas. Took the filter element completely off and tried to turn it over. Gas shot out of the carb, and I don't mean a little, it shot. Tried again and noticed that gas was coming out of the muffler exit.

Any suggestions?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The needle and seat in the carb is leaking. Could also be a carb float problem. :mad:
You need to do some carb work and drain the engine oil as some of the fuel has passed into the crankcase. You will also need to remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over to blow out the unburned fuel. Put the spark plugs back into the plug wires and position the spark plugs away from the holes but ground the base of the plugs.

Last edited: