SCAG repower

thebabybrahma

Forum Newbie
Threads
New dude here. i have a 2015 SCAG Tiger Cat, 61” cut with 27hp Kohler. Looking for info on engine swap to a 28-32hp, Honda, Kawasaki or Briggs. Has anyone done this? Kits available?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No one makes a "kit"
So it is suck it and see process
a Kohler will drop strait in , plug in and bolt right up
Plus the muffler should bolt up or just neeed a little tweak to make it fit
Any other brand of engine will require a new muffler or a fair bit of work with grinders & welders
Any other brand of mower will require either a cross over loom ( NLA so you have to make them ) or the plugs cut off the ENGINE and new ones to suit the mower fitted
Most engines will bolt up as the mounting holes are faily consistant .
Honda's wont but Honda does not make ride on engines any more

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I second what @bertsmobile1 said.
How many hours on the engine now? The Kohler Command is a great engine. Can usually get 1500-2000 hours with regular maintenance. New Kohler will be around $3000 grand plus labor. Kawasaki same plus additional cost for wiring, etc. could have Kohler rebuilt.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many hours on the engine now? The Kohler Command is a great engine. Can usually get 1500-2000 hours with regular maintenance. New Kohler will be around $3000 grand plus labor. Kawasaki same plus additional cost for wiring, etc. could have Kohler rebuilt.
I was going to ask the same question. I would definitely go with a replacement Kohler or rebuild if possible.

thebabybrahma

Forum Newbie
Threads
got about 1000 hours, rings are shot, piston has hole in it. we may just rebuild. thought engine swap would be faster and easier. bought the mower this way to build a backup mower