Scag or John Deere for cutting long thick grass

PeterJones

Threads
I have an 8 year Cheetah 29hp briggs stratton and 52 inch deck and its out of action for a few weeks. In the meantime I'm borrowing a 2 year old John Deere Z930m, 24Hp and 60 " deck.

I've noticed the Z930m cuts long thick grass much much easier than the Scag. Just wondering if this is simply a function of the bigger deck - or something going on?

Cheers, Peter

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the belts and other mechanical s are equal, the ability to discharge the cuttings would be suspect.

PeterJones

Threads
Thanks SC,

Actually you may be spot on. The Z930 certainly seems to throw out more grass and further irrespective of the grass length.

I generally I blow out the collected grass under the deck spasmodically but there is certainly a build up of old grass below the deck. Do you think this build up of grass could effect to performance of the scag deck?

Cheers, Peter

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The newer machine is probably in slightly better condition.
Blade type cam make a massive difference in long grass , particularly the cutting edge .
Then threre is the discharger chute position & size
A deck designed to do nothing but throw will cut a lot better than a universal deck designed to cut, bad, mulch & throw equally as poor .
Pressed decks universally cut better than fabricated decks as the roof of a pressed deck is designed to accomodate the extra volume of grass passing from the left blade past the middle to the right.