Comparison Scag Liberty Z vs Dixie Chopper Zee2

DougT1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and looking to upgrade to either a Scag residential mower or a Dixie Chopper residential mower. Below are the specs for each one.
-------------------SCAG LIBERTY Z------------DIXIE CHOPPER Z2
ENGINE---------24 hp Kohler 7000------------23 HP KAWASAKI
TRANMISSION--------ZT2800-----------------------ZT2800
DECK----------------52", 10 Ga.------------------54", 10 Ga.
GROUND SPEED------7 mph------------------------7 mph
WEIGHT--------------640 lbs.----------------------763 lbs.
BLADE TIP SPEED--16,000 fpm-----------------18,500 fpm
WARRANTY---------5yr or 750hrs------------3yr w/ no hr limit
FUEL CAPACITY-------5.5 gal.----------------------4 gal.
CUTTING HEIGHT---1.5" - 4.5"-------------------1.5" - 4.5"

Based on the specs above and your experience which one do you think will be the better mower. Also, so you know, I live in SW Florida and mow about 2 acres. Roughly .5 acre is smooth St. Augustine grass and the other 1.5 acres are pasture with Bahia and weeds.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

mcdonell

Threads
I really don't know either mower and I suspect your in good shape whichever one you choose.

I don't like mowing so I bought a 61 inch Scag Cheetah. It is 2 years old now and has performed flawlessly. I mow 3 acres of various grass and weeds without issue with one pass. Some is St. Augustine and some is the Dallis weeds.

I am a fan of Kawasaki engines. I have had good experience with them and prefer that route.

But another factor is the Dealer. My Scag dealer is great, honest and dependable. He has done my service and blades. My Dixie dealer did not impress me and changed his price quote. The Dixie dealer sold any equipment he could make a buck on and probably has limited knowledge, experience, and parts. My Scag dealer is all about Scag and the yard business.

The Zero turns are unforgiving and not much joy on mowing pasture. It will make you slow way down below 7 mph.

For me it would be all about the Dealer and how I think he will be after the sale. I feel my Scag Dealer is good to have in case I need him.

Best Wishes

DougT1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like the look and feel and less weight of the Scag over the DC but the blade tip speed concerns me. A Scag rep emailed me and said "Keep in mind that having a fast blade tip speed is not all that is required for a quality cut. The speed should be matched to the volume of the cutter deck, the baffling and airflow of the cutter deck and the lift of the cutter blades. All of these things must work together in order for you to receive the best possible cut." I don't know much about BTS, but to me, faster seems better...