Scag Liberty Z opinions?

Mayberry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the market for a new mower and I'm replacing a 10 yr old Craftsman rider. I began by looking for a quality lawn tractor, but everything I've found under $5k looks to be poorly made. I need a good, quality mower for reside tial use. 1 acre used weekly for 9 months/yr. I live in Georgia, so warm climate. Bermuda sodded lawn, pretty flat...one hill going from basement up to garage on one side. So, I don't need a full commercial mower. I've run across the "prosumer" range of zero turns and they look to be constructed pretty well. I just want something that I'm not going to have to throw away and replace in 8-10 years. I really like the Scag Liberty Z. Does anyone have an opinion on this mower? I've found some reviews and posts, but most are from right after the model came out. Anyone maybe have an update after running one for a year or two? The mower has a Kohler Pro 7000 engine, 2800 Hydros, 48" fabricated deck. Most comparable mowers are very similar. A few others have the Kawasaki FR series engine instead of the Kohler. Any opinion on which of these engines is better? I know Kawasaki makes a great motor, but the FR series seems to have mixed reviews.

Besides the Scag Liberty Z, I'm also looking at a Bob-Cat CRZ 48 and a Gravely HDLX. Appreciate any opinions, reviews, etc. I'm really ready to just buy a mower and get ready for mowing season. Thanks in advance.

clay45

Threads
From what you outline I believe you've size up the mower and its competition. If you have driven each and have met with each dealer you feel are a reasonable distance away surely you can make a choice that best fits your situation. Otherwise, if price isn't a concern go for the new Tiger Cat II just because you can.

mhavanti

Threads
After operating my Hustler Raptor SD60 three years, it seems to be the very same mower I purchased this month in '14. Best seat on the market, deck throws grass well, foot lift is easy to work, Kawasaki FV730V seems to like to take on heavy loads, hyros (2800) are extremely sensitive, sticks adjust in two ways so that you are comfortable, manufactured 11ga. deck, extra wide tires front and rear to save your freshly sodded yards and the speed is nice.

Price for a 60" cut Raptor with engine guard, premium seat and a couple of other upgrades, $4495. Get the free financing and use it to keep your credit bureau high and you'll enjoy several benefits.

Whatever you purchase, hope you enjoy it. I run mine like I stole it. If I break it, I'll fix it. So far, haven't been able to break it.

Max

Mayberry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I kept waffling and trying to look at more expensive mowers. I just bought the Scag Liberty Z this afternoon. It'll be delivered tomorrow. I only mow an acre and my 10 yr old Craftsman only has 120 hrs on it. I don't need a $7k lawnmower. This should be far more than I'll ever need. I decided to go with the Kohler Pro 7000. I found too many reviews of people having trouble with the lower level Kawasaki FR engines. I think I'll be ahppy with it. It's far nicer than what I need. Hopefully this mower lasts me 15 years or more.

schultzp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me know what you think, I have bought a Liberty Z also and waiting for it to be delivered (next month) ... I went with the 48" deck and Kohler Engine

Mayberry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me know what you think, I have bought a Liberty Z also and waiting for it to be delivered (next month) ... I went with the 48" deck and Kohler Engine

I got it today. I'm impressed so far. It's going to take a little practice to not tear up my grass while turning, but this thing is fast! Ran over my yard and blew the leaves, sticks and dried dormant grass off, and had my entire back yard done in 12 minutes. Front yard took a few minutes more. I'll cut my mowing time in half from my old yard tractor. Mower feels very solid, ride is stable and it's powerful. I kept edging toward a true commercial machine, but this is as much mower as I need. I would happily mow 3+ acres with this without any hesitation. I Also still have that extra $2-3k in my pocket. Really happy with my purchase. I hope this thing lasts.

schultzp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good to hear, there are only a few reviews on youtube and everything is good. I can't wait to get it next month.

Dmaxxin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered one of these as well. 52" deck with the 21.5 Kawasaki. Really looking forward to it! I do have some incredibly thick and fast growing grass on my property, so I'm hopeful this unit has the power to handle it.

I will give you guys some updates in spring.