Scag Liberty gas gauge changed reading to higher ?

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Scag Liberty gas gauge changed reading to higher ?
Question: My Scag Liberty, now 3 years old. & Last week mow, gas gauge read about 7/8 FULL of gas Before
I mowed for 48 minutes, then cleaned & parked. After the mow, I checked gas gauge it is now reading FULL of gas. None has been added. & parked in same spot in garage.. Same temps etc.

Yet when I looked in the tank & it is 2 inches below the full level in tank (as would seem normal), yet still reads FULL.. Removed gas gauge from tank, & inspected, all seems fine & working easily .. Float does float easily & reads good.

Can't figure how it could have changed ? This is my type of gas gauge below. Part # 485393

Appreciate any input. TIA.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well all I think of is the gauge float is hanging during operations. Have you check the level right after you removed the gauge when it is reading wrong? Might read differently if this is the case.

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I removed the grommet & put gauge back in, reads the same. Mowing today, we'll see what happens..

Thanks for your input.

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK, mowed 54 minutes today, gauge did go down appropriately imo..

Maybe it's me, but seems like it is reading a bit higher than what it should be for gas in tank... I know it's not rocket science precision.
Just seems to have changed a bit.. But mower sure runs fine.

I can understand float sinking lower, but never heard of it riding higher, that before...

Last edited:

Gcorron

Threads
You're lucky! I got mine and the next day when I noticed the fuel gauge was not reading, i called the dealer. I told them I'd bring it in and just exchange the gauge. They said they couldn't do that, they would charge me $75 to pick it up, diagnose the problem, and $75 to bring it back! Mind you, it was brand new!

Worse, just a bit over a month later, it wouldn't start. Pulled the battery out to recharge, it would not hold a charge. The battery was 4 years old! Electronics are only warranted for 30 days, sorry about your bad luck they said!

Fuel gauge still doesn't work, I just fill it up after every other use.

Love the Liberty, not so much the dealer.

jviews12

Threads
Every day before starting, I check the oil and top off the gas. I check the oil because I do not know if "something" happened we did not see the day before. I check and top the gas because I do not want to stop in the field somewhere. Just simple procedure. Never hurts to top off tires once in a while as they leak a little.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every day before starting, I check the oil and top off the gas. I check the oil because I do not know if "something" happened we did not see the day before. I check and top the gas because I do not want to stop in the field somewhere. Just simple procedure. Never hurts to top off tires once in a while as they leak a little.
When I kicked the business off I bought 300 large key rings which were big enough to fit over the dip stick and I encourage my customers to "hide" their key there so they won't loose it .