Scag/Kohler down on power

bobframe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a 61" Scag Turg Tiger to mow about 3 acres at my farm. The mower is 10 years old with approximately 360 hours. Engine is a 27HP Kohler with carburetor.

I have recently noticed that the engine loses power and sputters somewhat in situations that stress the motor...like turning uphill while cutting grass or when mowing up a steep incline. While I used to observe this occasionally in the past, it seems much more common lately.

Dealer thought it was fuel starvation because of the carburetor design and that a new carb ($350-400 installed) might fix it. Or it might not. A new $11,000 Scag, he assured me, will fix the problem. Indeed.

I wonder if simply cleaning the 10 year old, ethanol soaked carb might fix the issue.

While I may have to spring for a new mower I thought I'd cast about for some friendly advice.

Anyone worked through this issue?

Steve0853

Threads
My Scag is fuel injected so I don't have that experience, but I will tell you that 360 hours is nothing on a Turf Tiger. I would certainly go the new carb route before buying a new mower.

That doesn't sound like a bad price for a new carb installed.

I also have a 12 year old Grasshopper with a carbureted 27 horse Kohler. It had symptons very similar to yours a couple years ago. It turned out to be the engine bolts (especially the one with the ground wire attached) were loose and when turning or accelerating, the ground wire would lose contact for a minute and the engine would miss for a little bit. I tightened the bolts and cleaned the ground wire and it straightened out.

Chevychopper

Threads
Have you replaced the fuel filter with a new one? Also ethanol has been known to eat small holes in the fuel lines causing the possibility of sucking air bubbles into the fuel lines while under a load. I would clean or replace the carb.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
$350 to $400 for a carb installed on a 10 year old kohler is just insane.

I would get a kit for it and spend the 30 mins to clean and rebuild the carb.
Or get a new one off eBay and save $300.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could just be some dirt and water in the bottom of the carb, just take it off and disassemble and clean it.