Scag in need of new engine, advice needed.

Gregg71

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar problem with the 26 ELS engine on my Tiger Cub. I repowered with a 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf series engine with the Cyclonic Air Filtration System. I'm very pleased with this engine.
Briggs offers the commercial Turf Series engines in two different HP and crankshaft sizes. The 30 HP model has been replaced by a 27 HP version and a 24 HP model is also offered.
Check these links for more info.
Briggs & Stratton Vertical Engine - BS-44T877-0001-G1 Replaces 44Q977-0037-G5
Briggs & Stratton Vertical Engine - BS-49T877-0004-G1 Replaces 49M977-1036-G5
The 44t877 engine may be available with a larger crankshaft.
You will need to know the crankshaft size of your engine.
You also have basically the same engine available to you for repower, however I highly recommend that you upgrade to suitable version of the 44t877 or the 49t877 engines for a little more money.
I use Equipatron for new engines particularly Briggs, they ship in foam formed cardboard box via FEDEX right to you door in a few days.
If you decide to repower with one of these engines, let me know and I will give you the basic procedure.

Gregg71

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a scag freedom z and my question is when doing a reporter do I have to worry about the engine bolt up pattern, I’d like to replace my Kawasaki FS600v with a larger Briggs but I don’t know what will fit. I’m planning to order it through Northern Tool

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You should be able to get both bolt patterns from the manufacturer, ask Briggs what theirs is, and ask Kawasaki's what theirs is... worst case scenario you might have to drill new holes in the mower.