Scag in need of new engine, advice needed.

Purs

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 24Hp Briggs "Extended Life" engine on my 2008 SCAG Freedom Z has what i believe to be a broken connecting rod at 550 hours. Engine sounds completely fine but is low on power when put under load. After some diagnosing it was determined that that one of the pistons is not moving when turning the engine over by hand. So, my question is do I go back with Brigg's "upgraded" 27Hp Professional series (relatively cheap and plug and play) or with something else?
Here's what I use the mower for: Residential use for mowing my 1-2 acres about once every 4-5 days, occasionally I'll mow another property or two if someone needs help. The SCAG itself seems to be in pretty good condition.
Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_3521.JPG
    IMG_3521.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 23

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A briggs would be the easiest to replace the engine with, Going with Kohler, or Kaw would require wiring changes and exhaust changes, but would be totally doable.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a similar problem with the 26 ELS engine on my Tiger Cub. I repowered with a 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf series engine with the Cyclonic Air Filtration System. I'm very pleased with this engine.
Briggs offers the commercial Turf Series engines in two different HP and crankshaft sizes. The 30 HP model has been replaced by a 27 HP version and a 24 HP model is also offered.
Check these links for more info.
Briggs & Stratton Vertical Engine - BS-44T877-0001-G1 Replaces 44Q977-0037-G5
Briggs & Stratton Vertical Engine - BS-49T877-0004-G1 Replaces 49M977-1036-G5
The 44t877 engine may be available with a larger crankshaft.
You will need to know the crankshaft size of your engine.
You also have basically the same engine available to you for repower, however I highly recommend that you upgrade to suitable version of the 44t877 or the 49t877 engines for a little more money.
I use Equipatron for new engines particularly Briggs, they ship in foam formed cardboard box via FEDEX right to you door in a few days.
If you decide to repower with one of these engines, let me know and I will give you the basic procedure.

Purs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mackie: How long have you been running your replacement Briggs?
Did your previous muffler bolt up to the new motor?
Thanks!

Purs

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are your thoughts on the 27HP if I can find it with the correct shaft size? The shaft size that is on my current engine is 1"Dx3-5/32"L
Thanks!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Purs,
You need to stay with the same crankshaft size, otherwise you will encounter serious deck drive belt alignment, a new clutch and drive unit pulley.
The muffler will line up directly.
The engine control cables will connect with no problem. Fuel line and starter motor electrical cable should be a direct fit.
The Briggs engine harness connector should be the same 6 pin connector, you will need to check to make sure that the terminals in the engine connector line up with the terminals in the machine harness connector. Only 3 of the 6 slots have terminals, you may need to relocate a terminal or two.
I strongly recommend that when you have the old engine off, that you replace the ring terminals on the ground wires that are on one of the engine mounting bolts.
The controls for the choke and throttle on the new engine have a shorter throw than the old engine has. What this means is that the choke and throttle levers
will not move as far to accomplish the same effect on the engine.
I repowered my Tiger Cub in March 2012 and having had problems with the original and 2nd Scag hourmeters, I now have an analog hourmeter.
My new engine has at least 300 hours, possibly 400 hours having had the hourmeter problems.
The Commercial Turf engine has the Cyclonic Air filtration System which I have found to be very satisfactory in dusty conditions. This engine also has a cast aluminum intake manifold whereas the other Briggs models have a plastic intake manifold which I'm not crazy about.
These engines come with an engine oil cooler and a much increased cooling system.
As I have said, I'm pleased with this engine and this is the least expensive way to repower an original Briggs Intek, ELS twin.
I also have a 2012 Hustler X-ONE with a Kawasaki FX730V engine, definitely a sweet engine and I was set on repowering my Tiger Cub with a Kawi until I priced what I needed to make the conversion. Kawasaki doesn't make mufflers, Briggs does, so I would have needed to order a muffler which wasn't available at the time. The Kawasaki price total was more than twice the Briggs engine which was $850 delivered at the time. Prices have gone up!!!
Scag has manuals available on their website. Post the model and serial number range of you Freedom Z so I can look at the parts manual for your machine and possibly further assist you should you decide on the Briggs Commercial Turf engine. The HP that you decide on, 25 or 27 really doesn't make a lot of difference, the crankshaft size does.

Last edited:

Purs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great info, thank you! I plan on purchasing the Commercial Turf 24hp (44T877) tomorrow. I'd love to get the 27hp but it doesn't have the correct shaft size.
My Scag info: Model SMFZ-48
Serial: D1604281
Thx again!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bear in mind that the engine will be shipped with no engine oil. I recommend using dino oil for the first 50 hours then you may use full synthetic.
As with every engine repower, there are other things that may need to be addressed, for example, the hydraulic drive belt and idler/tensioner pulleys.P3260001.JPGP3260002.JPGP3260004.JPGP3260008.JPGP3260007.JPG
Here are some pics of my Tiger Cub repower.:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

Purs

Forum Newbie
Threads
What specifically do I need to look for / test on the pulleys to know if they need replacing?
Good idea to replace the belts while I have it apart?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to check the pulleys for roughness and bearing wear by turning and checking for them for radial and axial movement.
First hand, you will need to release the tension on both belts to remove them from the clutch and pump drive pulley, both on the engine.
Another consideration is that you will need to remove the engine oil drain valve from the old engine and install it in the new engine in the same position.
There is a sealing compound called Gasoila which is used on the oil drain fitting. This compound is gas and oil resistant whereas other sealants are not and will not hold and seal the drain fitting.
I downloaded the manual for your machine, I see that the choke is a pull type and the throttle is a lever. The choke will not pull us as far to get to full choke with the new engine and the throttle lever will not move as far to get to full throttle.
I recommend that you take some pics of the old engine before you disconnect anything so you will have a reference to refer to should you have any snags when installing and connection the new engine.
Make sure that you shut off the fuel before you disconnect the fuel line from the engine and have some new fuel hose handy as you may need some.