Sandhill cranes

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many of you have sandhill cranes on your property? I saw a pair about 300 feet from our house yesterday afternoon. always see some every fall. One year there were about 20 or so, our cats go and stare at them but except for the boldest feline, will not approach very close. Cranes do dig up my yard but nowhere near as bad as the frickin' skunks do. They are beautiful birds and I wish I knew how to attract more of them.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many of you have sandhill cranes on your property? I saw a pair about 300 feet from our house yesterday afternoon. always see some every fall. One year there were about 20 or so, our cats go and stare at them but except for the boldest feline, will not approach very close. Cranes do dig up my yard but nowhere near as bad as the frickin' skunks do. They are beautiful birds and I wish I knew how to attract more of them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A corn field seems to be attractive to Cranes. The larger group with the cattle were feeding in a corn field that had been harvested.

I was lucky to get a few pics at RoadRunner ranch of this group of three a few years ago. Note how the juvenile stays a distance from the two adults both on the ground and in flight. I would like to have had them at 300 ft. for photos but no such luck that time.
v7e8tf.jpg

16m1s05.jpg

28cg469.jpg

i4pm50.jpg

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see them frequently here in Florida, but in small groups, usually a pair and a young one. Some times three or four but never more than that, They are very calm and will allow you to get surprisingly close. Every spring I see new born chicks with a pair so they must be nesting here. There is a pair with a chick that likes be right next to be the interstate during rush hour, completely unafraid.
I like the to here them, sounds like a Dinosaur.

Last edited: