Repairs Safety switch on 1970 147

micanopyfats

Threads
I have a Cub that has been in my family a long time and is in fine shape except that the piece of spring steel which activates the safety switch and which was originally welded to the brake pedal shaft just
broke/rusted off.
I am running a generator/starter on the 147. Can I just bypass the safety switch and forget about replacing the depressor button of the switch on the brake pedal shaft? Or I suppose I could transfer the switch from the pedal to reachable by hand on the dash. Is the switch even necessary?

Micanopy Fats

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Worked on a CC model 110 years ago with that same problem. There is something about the wiring on the old cubs that causes an electric feedback to the starter/generator that will burn out the generator in about 30 minutes if just wired as a bypass. We repaired in by putting a push switch up on the dash for starting.

micanopyfats

Threads
You have brought up something which I had suspected which is when the starter/generator begins generating a current the switch needs to be allowed to disconnect. I'm gonna try the dash mount idea. Thank you.:thumbsup:
Worked on a CC model 110 years ago with that same problem. There is something about the wiring on the old cubs that causes an electric feedback to the starter/generator that will burn out the generator in about 30 minutes if just wired as a bypass. We repaired in by putting a push switch up on the dash for starting.

micanopyfats

Threads
The switch is now on the dash, works fine:thumbsup: and I like it better than the original design.
You have brought up something which I had suspected which is when the starter/generator begins generating a current the switch needs to be allowed to disconnect. I'm gonna try the dash mount idea. Thank you.:thumbsup:

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: I have a CC127 and a CC149. Brake safety switch by passed years ago on both and no problems with the S/G. Glad to hear you solved your problem.