Export thread

Sabre 14hp with dropped exhaust valve

O

oldntired55

i recently acquired a sabre 14/38 . nice little machine.. the previous owner told me the valve dropped while he was trying to start it , i have to agree, no damage to piston, cylinder or head... the broken stem was jammed right into center of spark plug, how lucky was that? my question is, there was a valve lash cap in the valve cover... i am assuming that must go on the new exhaust valve? i don't see any on the intake valve.. any ideas? i do not see the cap on ereplacement parts , or Jacks small engine parts...

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

That is an Intek engine and has a cap on both valves
There should be a model number on the rocker cover so use that to check the B & S parts list
I think they are all the same but not sure .
The ones I have here are # 691843 hard to spot on the IPL unless you know what you are looking for
And yes it just shows 1 on them but it also only shows 1 rocker and adjuster & I know for sure there are 2 of those

O

oldntired55

That is an Intek engine and has a cap on both valves
There should be a model number on the rocker cover so use that to check the B & S parts list
I think they are all the same but not sure .
The ones I have here are # 691843 hard to spot on the IPL unless you know what you are looking for
And yes it just shows 1 on them but it also only shows 1 rocker and adjuster & I know for sure there are 2 of those
thanks for pointing me in right direction, i dont get lost often, but when i do, i do it right!

B

bertsmobile1

Personally I find it very annoying when IPLs do not list the quantity and only show 1 in the diagram
Mind you I had to look for "valve cap" in the descriptions to find the number then look for that number on the drawings .
And it becomes a problem for things like valve stem oil seals
Old mowers had none
Latter mowers had 1 on the inlet
Lattest models may have 2 because of stricter EPA regulations

O

oldntired55

Update on the broken ex valve. when i finally went to put this head together, THIS popped into view. should have done a closer inspection BEFORE ordering parts. that cost could have went toward a good used head. oh well, never too old to learn! not sure if this happened when valve dropped, or if this caused it.

Attachments

D

davis2

Where are you located?

O

oldntired55

Where are you located?
northeast pa. susquehanna county...... ??

D

davis2

northeast pa. susquehanna county...... ??
I have a 17 horse motor on a sabre that has a bad transmission. I'm in the Delmarva area of Maryland. Asking to see if it could help you with your machine...

O

oldntired55

I have a 17 horse motor on a sabre that has a bad transmission. I'm in the Delmarva area of Maryland. Asking to see if it could help you with your machine...
i could sure use that engine on another tractor i have here... i have already replaced the engine on the Sabre... how much for the engine itself?

D

davis2

i could sure use that engine on another tractor i have here... i have already replaced the engine on the Sabre... how much for the engine itself?
I'll give you the whole tractor for $150

D

davis2

The engine runs great

O

oldntired55

much appreciated, but im 4 1/2 hrs away from you...

D

davis2

much appreciated, but im 4 1/2 hrs away from you...
Yeah that's the bad part. Just so you know, it's a complete tractor, deck and all. I believe the pulley is slipping on the trans input shaft. If I can't sell it, I'll attempt repair. Just not in the summer heat! It was my spare. It's funny that I brought it from the Rome NY area to my bil in the Hagerstown MD area, then he replaced it and gave it to me.

O

oldntired55

Yeah that's the bad part. Just so you know, it's a complete tractor, deck and all. I believe the pulley is slipping on the trans input shaft. If I can't sell it, I'll attempt repair. Just not in the summer heat! It was my spare. It's funny that I brought it from the Rome NY area to my bil in the Hagerstown MD area, then he replaced it and gave it to me.
that IS funny, small world it seems..