RZ5426 Starting issue

bert777

Threads
967003602 Had this zero turns for about 5 years. Always have had an issue with starting. Here's what it does wrong. Always sounds like the starter is bad or switch. You turn the key and no sound at all.
If I gently keep turning the key eventually it will just fire up. Hers what I have tried to fix it. New battery that is top end 250 cca. Battery charger that is hook up all the time. Brand new Kohler starter. Adjusted valves. Put in new key switch. Anyone have any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then first thing I would check are all electrical connections, particularly the battery ground to chassis connection.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the connections on all the switches especially the the pto switch since the start circuit goes through the pto switch it could be the pto switch. I have seen the terminals on some that are broken inside the terminal. The center tab is sometimes broken out. Would not be a bad idea to check them all.

bert777

Threads
I went through all the wiring connections and cleaned them. I didn't see anything unusual. Still doing same thing.
I have a new PTO/clutch switch and new solenoid coming in Monday.
I hope that fixes it. I'm not the greatest with wiring.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I gently keep turning the key eventually it will just fire up.
From what you wrote, to me, sounds like a bad key switch, starter solenoid, starter, or + and - battery cables. Could have a bad cell in the battery. Need to have the battery load tested. New doesn't mean new anymore.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two ways to run down electrical problems on mowers
1) substitution with a KNOWN good part
2) bypassing
Both work as well as each other but the latter cost only time where as the former can run into hundreds of dollars before the 15¢ bad terminal is located .With your situation, I always start by bypassing the battery leads with booster cables , one side of the battery at a time.
A particular problem with ZTR's over tractors is water ingression into the battery leads which corroded the wire in the middle of the insulation where you can not see it
So a multimeter will read 13 V at either end but when required to carry current the wire fails .
So t is boosters from the mowers battery then boosters from your cars battery to verify the mowers battery
After that some short wires with a male terminal at each end to jump the switch plugs
I find it helpful to jump the B (battery ) & S ( starter) terminals on the key switch first so that both hands are free to do things like wiggle wires behind plugs to find a bad connection as when contact is made the engine will crank but not start just remember to stay clear of the fan intake while doing it .