Ryobi RY26520 26cc Straight Gas Lawn Grass Weed Trimmer - Manufacturer Refurbished

fmitchelltx

Threads
  • / Ryobi RY26520 26cc Straight Gas Lawn Grass Weed Trimmer - Manufacturer Refurbished
I am in need of a weedeater. I saw a review of this Ryobi on the Amazon website and had a couple of questions. I am thinking of purchasing this model My old Homelite has seen better days. In the Amazon review, it says first and foremost is the carb hi & lo screws MUST be readjusted to a slightly richer mixture. How do I do this? I am reading a 1/4 turn? In other words, are there 2 screws on the carb that I turn? I am guessing 1/4 turn to the left?

I see references to a special tool for the carb adjustment. Do I need to purchase one of these tools? If so, what tool am I looking for? I see that there are about 4 different tools, Pacman, Double D, etc. I can't seem to find the proper info on which tool fits this Ryobi and don't want to purchase the wrong one.

I have a curved shaft Homelite that the shaft has gone bad on several times. It runs great but the shafts are junk. I just don't want to pour any more money into it.

Is Ryobi a step up from the Homelite? I would like a Husquvarna, or other top brand, but just can't see spending the big money on one that will be used just for my small jobs.

I am not using it for anything more than cutting grass around the flower beds, porch, etc. No heavy duty or tall out of control grass to cut

I am hesitant to buy reconditioned, but the price is right. Any other things I might need to know before purchase?

I really appreciate the help anyone can provide

Thank you,

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Ryobi RY26520 26cc Straight Gas Lawn Grass Weed Trimmer - Manufacturer Refurbished
mitchel, Homeowner here. You know that many consider the Ryobi's bottom feeders...but I owned a 790R for 10 years of great performance before dying. It had the 26cc 2 stroker. I bought a sears weedwhacker because it also had the 26cc unit. So far great. But I notice the outward designs look different on more recent units. It is illegal for homeowners to adjust 2 stroke engines (EPA) so it is illegal to buy the tool to adjust. The 26 cc units I have use a D shaped adj screw top . Tools are sold on line. I made a tool (use search this forum). Sears unit would not run properly until the idle and hi speed adj screws were tweaked. Unit must be hot. Small adjs make for big changes and good performance. Hope this helps.

fmitchelltx

Threads
Thank you. I may look further into the Ryobi. It can't be worse than my Homelite. Of course the Homelite is 10 + years old and the motor has never been the problem. I just keep buying new shafts for the thing. I need to get my push mower fixed and see if I really need a weed eater that badly.

Thanks again!