Ryobi RY08576 Pack Blower Starting Issue

captsupercow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all!

I recently got a 2-stroke Ryobi pack blower from a friend, non-running and have been trying to get it running. I have never worked on a gas blower before but have rebuilt many chainsaws and a couple lawnmowers. The blower is a Ryobi RY08576 with a small 25.4cc engine. It did not have any gas in it so I tried putting a little in and see if it would start with no luck. I checked the spark plug against the frame and it is getting spark, a little hard to see but it was there.

So next I looked at the air filter that was fairly clean, then started getting into the carb. Looking at the carb the fuel screen was pretty dirty and the diaphragms were crispy-stiff. I ordered a carb kit for it and cleaned/rebuilt the carb. Made sure that the primer was pulling fuel through and all seemed well. Put it back together and still nothing, not even a pop. The engine is definitely getting gas as I had to drain it after flooding a few times.

My next step was to try a new spark plug, got one, still nothing. Next I checked compression. Compression reading at about 100-110psi which I think should be enough? Lastly I tried just shooting a bit of starting fluid in to see if we could get anything and still again, not even a pop. Looking through the exhaust, the piston sides look clean, the tube walls are pretty clear. I'm kind of lost on this one.

I suspect that possibly the ignition coil is failing? I mean it's getting spark, but is it strong enough?

I hope by reaching out I might be able to get some advice on this.
Thanks!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is where you need one of those 3 point spark testers or a moving contact spark tester to see just how strong the spark is.
With these 2 stroke screamers, the magneto is optimised for the running speed up around 10,000 rpm so often the cranking spark is quite weak
Check the spark timing best you can
The cast in timing key shears off real easy

captsupercow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the response!
I will get ahold of one of those testers, the kind with the little window and 3 points.
It looks like it has a woodruff key listed int he parts diagram, I don't have a tachometer to check the timing so I might just break out the puller and take a look under the flywheel after checking with a spark tester, any recommendations on spark testers?

captsupercow

Forum Newbie
Threads
SO! I got the tester and the spark was very weak. I then ordered a new ignition coil and lo and behold it started right up! It was running well and I was revving the throttle by hand when the idle adjuster screw/choke piece of the carb just snapped right off (half of the carb is plastic) and now I have a working engine but with no idle hold/adjustment ??

I can't really think of a way to rig up a new idle screw, it's not in a great spot. They also no longer make the carb (walbro wyc-8). I'm at the point of do I just scrap this project? Or is it possible to find a cheap carb for another 25.4cc engine and substitute it?
While it has been frustrating this one sure is a learning experience!

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carb choke is a replacable part and available from Walbro
Look it up on the Walbro web site.

captsupercow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did not realize that they still made that one part! Thank you!!

Ironically it is cheaper to buy an entire wyc-6 carburetor and just take the part off of it instead of ordering the part directly.
Thanks much.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I did not realize that they still made that one part! Thank you!!

Ironically it is cheaper to buy an entire wyc-6 carburetor and just take the part off of it instead of ordering the part directly.
Thanks much.

People who are not involved in warehousing or transport have no concept of just how expensive logistics is.
With a lot of the small stuff out there the logistics cost is better than 1/2 the actual price .
it costs the same to ship & store a whole carb as it does to store & ship a single part .
The Car industry worked this out decades ago so made assemblies that could not be broken down.
I buy trade packs of things like filters and in doing that the cost top me is 1/2 the price of individual filter.
I get cube carb repair parts in 100 packs.
A 100 pack is 3 times the price of a 10 pack
the 10 pack is 6 times the price of the single pack