Runs worse with air filter

Blacktrain11

Threads
I have a push mower with a briggs. (Model #10T502 Type #1022-B1 Code #09042155) New carb. gaskets, new plug, new air filter, fresh fuel. Engine runs perfect with air filter off, with the air filter on it runs perfect for about 10 seconds, then starts to die out but then picks right back up again and keeps doing it, up and down, up and down. Take the air filter off and it runs perfect. The air filter is a Briggs #698369. The carburetor has fixed jets so I can' adjust anything. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you over tightening the air filter ?

kbowley

Threads
Did you use an OEM Briggs carburetor, or an Amazon knock off? My guess is an Amazon knock off since the OEM is no longer available. Why did you replace the carburetor? Have you tried putting the original carb back on it? I recommend cleaning the original carburetor and then using the diaphragm from the knock off. The reason it surges is a lean condition, quite common with those Chinese knockoff carbs.

Last edited:

Blacktrain11

Threads
I did not replace the carburetor, I replaced the carburetor gaskets, as my first post states, I guess the way I worded it in my first post could be confusing, sorry about that. I will try loosing up the air filter screw to see if it makes a difference. I will also check for exhaust obstruction. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks to everyone for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Even a clean air filter will restrict air flow.
When a carburettor is adjusted/tuned, it is with the air filter on place .
If the carburettor is tuned, without the air filter in place, the air:fuel ratio will be rich when it is in place.
If it is too rich the engine will stop.
If your carburettor has not been adjusted or has no adjustments, I would suspect a damaged governor acting on the carby "butterfly" or choke restricting air flow.
Check;
Your choke is opening fully
Your governor would normally open & close the "butterfly" valve in the carburettor. Check that the linkages are good and that the system is working.