runs on starting fluid

Zapmaster

Forum Newbie
Threads
craftsman 22.0hp briggs only ran if i spray starting fluid in it. So I changed fuel filter. blew out gas lines out. checked the oil, replaced the carb with a band new one. I have gas coming all the way up to the carb, but nothing out of the jets out the snorkel so gave it a little air through the carb to see if gas comes out them and it does. but nothing comes out while trying to start it. I've been at this for a week now and my grass is getting taller.
hope you can help me out.
Thanks

Bigem1951

Forum Newbie
Threads
It runs while on starter fluid then shuts off.
Bad Idea to use starter fluid on a gasoline engine.. Get a old plastic bottle like mustard or ketchup
bottle used at a picnic.. Much saver and less chance to damage a valve..
Takes air and fuel to run. Lack of fuel makes me think the fuel pump
is not working because you pushed gas out of the jets with air. Diaphragm may be damaged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carburettor should have a solenoid that rams a bung up the main jet so no fuel can enter the engine via the main jet
IF the engine will run happily by spraying starting fluid down the venturri ( Heed Bigems warning about this ) but not without it then no fuel is getting into the engine via the carburettor main jet
So either the main jet itself is clogged or the solenoid plunger is not retracting.
The plunger is spring loaded out ( off ) and voltage from the key switch pulls it back in
So with the original carb either there is no voltage to the solenoid ( or no ground ) or the main jet is clogged
With the new carb then it could be anything unless you bought a genuine B & S one or a certified aftermarket one from a real mower parts suppler.
IF you bought is cheap off Ammozone or Evilpay then better than average chance it is a defective one bought in China as scrap metal then resold in the USA to fools who believe that everything on the planet is made at the North Pole by the elves from fairy dust and the only price difference is greedy companies ripping them off .

Bigem1951

Forum Newbie
Threads
The carburettor should have a solenoid that rams a bung up the main jet so no fuel can enter the engine via the main jet
IF the engine will run happily by spraying starting fluid down the venturri ( Heed Bigems warning about this ) but not without it then no fuel is getting into the engine via the carburettor main jet
So either the main jet itself is clogged or the solenoid plunger is not retracting.
The plunger is spring loaded out ( off ) and voltage from the key switch pulls it back in
So with the original carb either there is no voltage to the solenoid ( or no ground ) or the main jet is clogged
With the new carb then it could be anything unless you bought a genuine B & S one or a certified aftermarket one from a real mower parts suppler.
IF you bought is cheap off Ammozone or Evilpay then better than average chance it is a defective one bought in China as scrap metal then resold in the USA to fools who believe that everything on the planet is made at the North Pole by the elves from fairy dust and the only price difference is greedy companies ripping them off .
If it runs on starter fluid isn't the solenoid doing its job? I still think the fuel pump is defective..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The solenoid simply stops fuel from entering the main jet and thus the engine
If it is closed, no fuel enters the engine
When you spray starting fluid down the carb throat you are doing the same job as the carburburettors main jet by adding fuel to the air stream