Running double blades?

Sonders

Threads
Read on some other forums about guys running double blades on their mowers to create better lift which led to a better cut quality. Are any of you running double blade setups on your Hustlers? I'm curious and considering giving it a try. Wouldn't be out that much $$$ on adding another set of blades onto the mower to try it out. Any input?

Sonders

Threads
one mulching, one high lift?

Thats what I was thinking mowerman. From what I've read so far it looks like it's a matter of trying different combo's to find the right setup that works best for each individual mower.

Sonders

Threads
Any input? Is there nobody running double blades?

GeoJB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run doubles on my Cub. It adds an extra 1/2 inch to the cutting height. In other words, cuts the grass shorter.
Used it last fall when picking up leaves had much less clogging of the chute. Also seems to have less clogging with wet grass also.
Don't remember which is on top, the high lift or mulcher. (use both)

Sonders

Threads
Thanks for the info GeoJB. I think I'm going to give this a try next yr when I put new blades on.

GeoJB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had just enough thread left on the spindle to tighten them down. The spindle end barley makes it to the end of the nut. You "may or may not" have enough thread to support two blades, Just an FYI for ya.
It does take them a little longer to "spool up". So I start them with a slow throttle. And the very first start of the day (cold spindles) I can tell the difference.
I keep the spindles really greased up with Red & tacky.

Sonders

Threads
Great info GeoJB, thanks. I figured I'd need some longer mounting bolts for the blades; the stock ones are pretty short. I know on my old Turf Tiger it was recommended to engage the pto at less than full throttle to save wear on the clutch; I guess that woulda kind of apply in this case too.