run away engine

Tedws

Threads
I have a Tecumseh 10 hp engine #143.406022 on a Craftsman lawn tractor. It has been sitting for about 10 years in the back of my garage and my son-in-law needed a mower so I pulled it out. I put a carb kit in it but when I start it I do not have control of the throttle. It has 2 speeds fat and faster. It run good but the engine was only about 2 year old when I stop using it. Can anyone give me any ideas about what be my problem? THANKS

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Tecumseh 10 hp engine #143.406022 on a Craftsman lawn tractor. It has been sitting for about 10 years in the back of my garage and my son-in-law needed a mower so I pulled it out. I put a carb kit in it but when I start it I do not have control of the throttle. It has 2 speeds fat and faster. It run good but the engine was only about 2 year old when I stop using it. Can anyone give me any ideas about what be my problem? THANKS

I wanna try out fat speed! Sounds like throttle control not installed correctly or if governed the governor might need adjusting

Tedws

Threads
I wanna try out fat speed! Sounds like throttle control not installed correctly or if governed the governor might need adjusting

I have been trying to find someone to tell me how to connect the governor but I guess the info I have is wrong. It is a 1985, would u know how it is to be connected?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the governor after all that time it maybe a little tight with you, some info that may help you out.

Attachments

• Tecumseh OHV.pdf
    394.2 KB · Views: 11

Tedws

Threads
Check the governor after all that time it maybe a little tight with you, some info that may help you out.

I am also seeing oil comeing up through the choke and into the air filter Did not notice that till this morning.

impalass

Threads
Governor spring might be in the wrong hole.