RM480E No Power

tdcalahan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a very unique issue with my 3 year old Ryobi RM480E electric riding mower. Set to use if for the first time this season. Unplugged charger from unit. Sat in the seat. Turned on the key. Pushed rocker switch to forward and pushed accelerator and the mowing moved about an inch and power just went out. Nothing. Turned key back on and off but nothing. No clicks. No lights nothing. Like it tripped a breaker.or fuse or something. Any ideas what happened to this mower? Did not see any fuses under control panel but noticed what looks like a large fuse under the seat on top of batteries. I will check that next. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Just like other posts it is very hard to find any information on these mowers or a qualified repair facility familiar with these mowers.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
check this thread out

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully, we can find you some answers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would check is battery voltage. At three years old the life of the batteries may be near their end.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
At least if it is a battery issue you won't have to pawn your first 3 kids.

ModernMode

Threads
I suppose the safety switch under the seat has gone bad. That would turn off the mower if you get off.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I have a very unique issue with my 3 year old Ryobi RM480E electric riding mower. Set to use if for the first time this season. Unplugged charger from unit. Sat in the seat. Turned on the key. Pushed rocker switch to forward and pushed accelerator and the mowing moved about an inch and power just went out. Nothing. Turned key back on and off but nothing. No clicks. No lights nothing. Like it tripped a breaker.or fuse or something. Any ideas what happened to this mower? Did not see any fuses under control panel but noticed what looks like a large fuse under the seat on top of batteries. I will check that next. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Just like other posts it is very hard to find any information on these mowers or a qualified repair facility familiar with these mowers.
1) we have worked on these, and warranty shop's can get info to diagnose. 2) charger shuts off and does not turn back on even if all connected. Unplug charger and hook it up and see if will charge. 3) a completely dead or near dead battery that got drained to next to zero will not be allowed to charge by the charging system on these smart battery systems. 4) from what has been given I do not know if a problem on chassis or battery or charging is cause, more info needed. connections are well designed and not believed the cause and fooling with them may void warranty. Read manual and pay attention to warranty statements as some coverage may exist even at 3 years.

robatworldnet

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not the OP but I'm having a similar (exact?) problem. I'm second owner and the machine was in storage for an extended, unknown length of time. No lights or sound from any component when turning the key to On or Acc. Plugging in the charger causes the charger light to turn off (from steady green) and the charge light on the machine to blink fast/faint green. I have:

1. Verified the charger as good/functional on a 100Ahr zero turn.
2. Verified the same charging behavior on the zero turn's charger
3. Pulled the battery pack and charged each battery individually with a 12v AGM charger. Reassembled battery pack shows about 52v at the connector
4. Pulled the side and control panels and visually inspected connectors and components nothing appears to be cut/burnt/amiss etc.

Looking for next steps, thanks,

-Rob.

jorge25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rob, were you able to restore your mower? What was the issue? I have the exact same problem with mine and also followed the procedure of charging batteries individually and still the mower does not turn on at all.

robatworldnet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rob, were you able to restore your mower? What was the issue? I have the exact same problem with mine and also followed the procedure of charging batteries individually and still the mower does not turn on at all.
It was the Charger Receptacle. I contacted Ryobi parts company Gardner and they sent the wrong part (p/n 996207001). After talking to Ryobi Technical Service (TTI Group) I found the correct part (p/n 996515001). The part on the left marked bad is the correct part, 996207001 is on the right. If you order one of these make sure the socket matches your charger.