Riding Mower in $1000 range

hitmanharleyk

Threads
However, in that range, the Poulan Pro 300 EX and 500 EX had the thickest guage metal decks. They are also one of the few if only mowers in that price range with real steel decks.

Just curious since I don't know much about the big box store mowers, but what kind of decks are on the the ones that don't have "real steel" decks?

possum

Threads
I wondered the same thing.

scott47429

Threads
the commercial machines will have manufactured decks on then there the big heavy looking decks there ones you see at the big box stores are called stamped decks there not welded there just stamped out by a big punch press in a factory the manufactured decks will be pieces of steel cut out and welded together much heaver and much better

Blade Runner

Threads
I will find the online articles about the $1000 range riding mowers and steel decks and post them. I agree with scott. However, I was referring to the less expensive riding mower stamped decks. Some stamped decks are made of heavier guage metal and are comprised of more steel. Others are thinner and have less steel and more alloys.

Many have reported that some late model riding mower decks warp or bend too easily. When they attempt to repair the deck by welding them, the weld will not hold because they are made of less steel and or the decks are thinner than older models. Some of the late model riders with those types of decks can be found at home improvement chain stores. I prefer to not make negative comments against a specific brand, as people often take negative comments about their property too personnal.

hitmanharleyk

Threads
I will find the online articles about the $1000 range riding mowers and steel decks and post them. I agree with scott. However, I was referring to the less expensive riding mower stamped decks. Some stamped decks are made of heavier guage metal and are comprised of more steel. Others are thinner and have less steel and more alloys.

Many have reported that some late model riding mower decks warp or bend too easily. When they attempt to repair the deck by welding them, the weld will not hold because they are made of less steel and or the decks are thinner than older models. Some of the late model riders with those types of decks can be found at home improvement chain stores. I prefer to not make negative comments against a specific brand, as people often take negative comments about their property too personnal.

These folks need to find actual welders, not people who call themselves being able to weld! I've been involved in the welding field for all of my adult life from managing a pressure vessel weld shop for 13 years to now selling welding supplies to the military, part of what I do is show people there is a better way. There is products out there that will weld dissimilar metals at low temps, perfect for mower decks. So are even designed to burn thru oil, grease and paint.