riding mower advice

JET4

Threads
I was looking at the Huslter Raptor 42 do you think that's a decent one Also looking at the Gravely ZT34, the perfect size to go through my gate with no trouble at all .42 would fit but be real tight.

Last edited:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
We went to the big box store to look again and my wife sat on a zero turn and said she would test drive one. Like I said we will buy from a dealer, so my new question is, what is a good zero turn for $3000.00 or under. I'm not looking for a comercial mower as I will only be cutting the grass once a week for 30-45 minutes or so. I hope to buy a somewhat decent zero turn for $3000.00 or less. Thanks again for your time and help. Needs to be 42 or smaller

JET4,
The least expensive Residential zero turns that I would recommend would be the Toro Titan ZX or the Cub Cadet Z-Force you will find at dealers, but I think it will be difficult for you to find a ZTR smaller than a 48" deck and $3,000 for a "good quality" ZTR that will provide years of care-free service may be even more difficult. Just my opinion.

Rivets,
I don't want to sound confrontational regarding your Gravely/Kubota comment, but you may want to make sure you are comparing apples and apples, and have your facts straight. The 2013 model of my Gravely Pro-Turn 52" XDZ100 has a $7,499 MSRP and is a Commercial ZTR in every sense of the word(with a HydroGear ZT-3400 Commercial tranny, foldable ROPS and a Kawasaki FX series Commercial engine). The top Kubota Kommander model ZG127S(54") is a Residential ZTR(with ZT-3100 trannies and a one-piece ROPS) that runs approx. $5,900 and even the Kubota website "compares it" to a Toro Titan(another "Residential ZTR"). Not just bragging about my personal mower, but the Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ 100 and Kubota Kommander are in two distinctively different classes of ZTR's.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was looking at the Huslter Raptor 42 do you think that's a decent one Also looking at the Gravely ZT34, the perfect size to go through my gate with no trouble at all .42 would fit but be real tight.

JET4,
Well, maybe I'm wrong about a ZTR in the $3,000 range as you have shown your diligence in searching for mowers!!! Indeed that Gravely ZT series is a very good entry-level Residential unit(the ZT HD series even "better"....close to Commercial quality) and the 42" ZT model at a MSRP of $3,199 would be a very good comparison to the 42" Hustler Raptor Residential model. Hustler "doesn't make no junk", but I will have to search as I seem to remember a thread on here where a Raptor purchaser was having some problems with his. Both of those brands are a good choice for you to look at(not just because I own a Gravely) and a distant third choice may be to compare those two to a similarly priced/size Husqvarna Residential ZTR. Husqvarna is my first choice for a lawn tractor but I'm not thoroughly convinced about their low-end ZTR's. Also, a consideration may be to look at Dixon ZTR's, which are also owned by Husqvarna. Another brand, if you have a nearby dealer would be Dixie Chopper(the Zee 2 line I think). There are so many good mowers out there today that you, like I, will probably have your head spinning after looking at a few of them and it won't be an easy decision which one to get(but you DO have your wife to help you out on that, mine didn't want to participate in the selection process:0) Good luck!!!

JET4

Threads
I ended up getting the Gravely ZT34. I wanted the Hustler Raptor 42, but it would not fit through my gate. I didn't want to go to thr trouble of making the gate bigger. The Gravely is a very nice mower for the money.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ended up getting the Gravely ZT34. I wanted the Hustler Raptor 42, but it would not fit through my gate. I didn't want to go to thr trouble of making the gate bigger. The Gravely is a very nice mower for the money.

JET4,
Didn't mean to "influence you" with my Gravely banter:0)
But I know as well as anyone else on here you did like I did last September when I joined this forum when shopping for my first ZTR. Take in all the experiences and advice, look at some ZTR's, try to make sure it's apples-to-apples comparisons across brands, and then make a decision on what seems like the best fit for your needs. I've never owned a Gravely before this one which has 9.2 hours on it, but it does have a 1,000 hour/3Year Consumer Warranty, a 3Year Kawasaki warranty and a Lifetime frame/deck warranty. If I was wrong and it breaks down next weekend, I'll just let the dealer make it right as any purchaser of a new ZTR would no matter what the brand(that's why personally I never recommend going to Craigs List and spending several $1K on a used ZTR). I hope, by all means, you feel more comfortable with the dealer than you do with the new mower!!!!! That's what really matters. Personally I don't think you'll be dissapointed with a brand that's been building heavy duty farm equipment since 1916 and is now owned by Ariens(another reputable manufacturer). Let us know how you like it after you get some hours on it. BTW, I've got a next door neighbor that has an Ariens 46" Zoom ZTR with a Briggs and Stratton 16HP engine(one of the best B & S ever made) and the sealed EZT trannies. For over 16 years he's been making his yard look like a golf course(and making me green with envy) and now the shoe's on the other foot since I've got a brand new "Arien's big brother" Gravely Commercial and my yard has him thinking about getting a new Gravely:0)
P.S.
And post some pictures when you get it home.....we wanna see it!!!!

JET4

Threads
The dealer is the one of the reason I bought the Gravely. I went to the Hustler dealer and talked to him about two minutes, looked at my wife and said lets go. Rode to the Gravely dealer and started to talk to him and he was very nice. He said if something goes wrong with the mower he'll come pick it up take it to his shop and repair it and bring it back.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The dealer is the one of the reason I bought the Gravely. I went to the Hustler dealer and talked to him about two minutes, looked at my wife and said lets go. Rode to the Gravely dealer and started to talk to him and he was very nice. He said if something goes wrong with the mower he'll come pick it up take it to his shop and repair it and bring it back.

JET4,

I hear ya...my Hustler dealer "had an attitude" and would not "budge" from MSRP. I ended up getting a Commercial Gravely ZTR for a LOT less than he wanted for a high-end Residential Hustler:0(