riding mower advice

JET4

Threads
I have just under 1 acre to cut, all flat with 1 tree. My wife cuts the grass and she wants a riging mower. She does NOT want a zero turn. I've been looking at the Husqvarna YT42XLS it's right at $2500.00. Is this the best mower for $2500.00 or is there a better one. From my research the Husqvarna seems to be very reliable. Not looking to spend more unless something is much better Thanks for your time and help..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take a look at the Simplicity rear engine rider for $1899. Very easy for your wife to control and with only 1 acre to cut the difference in time with a smaller deck won't be noticeable.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Using a mower that is too big for an area can actually cause you take more time to mow. Several years ago when our 42" craftsman was in about worn out, we tried replacing it with a 50" craftsman, and I could actually mower the yard faster with the 42", and I mow about 5 acres. I know mow with a 72" mower behind my compact tractor, and takes about the same time as it did with the 42". Would like to get a front deck grasshopper ZTR one of these days.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have just under 1 acre to cut, all flat with 1 tree. My wife cuts the grass and she wants a riging mower. She does NOT want a zero turn. I've been looking at the Husqvarna YT42XLS it's right at $2500.00. Is this the best mower for $2500.00 or is there a better one. From my research the Husqvarna seems to be very reliable. Not looking to spend more unless something is much better Thanks for your time and help..

JET4,
All I can say is that if that Husqvarna YT42XLS had been available in 2006 when I bought my last lawn tractor(54" Craftsman YS4500-built by Husqvarna for Sears) before going Zero Turn last fall.....I would have bought that YT42XLS in a heartbeat. Go ahead and compare, but if you find another riding lawn mower with a lifetime warrantied fabricated deck, a Kawasaki engine and a locking differential hydro tranny(like that YT42XLS) BUY IT.....but I don't think youll find anything close to that Husqvarna and I believe it is well worth $2500 and recommend you pull the trigger(your wife will love it:0)

JET4

Threads
We will be buying from a dealer not the big box store. We did go to look at a couple of mowers at the big box store so my wife could just set on them tell we can get to the dealer.She likes the rear engine mower because it's little and cute she says. There is not a Simplicity dealer near me but there is a Snapper dealer near me. The Snapper RE 210 looks to be the same as the Simplicity. Is the Snapper a good mower. I have not ruled out the Husqvarna YT42XLS yet. It just looks like the rear engine mower would be easier for her to handle because it's smaller.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am not a Snapper lover myself, but they do make a good mower in that size. Personally I think a rear engine would be easier for her to control. A plus would be if she picks it out and not you, better home life.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
We will be buying from a dealer not the big box store. We did go to look at a couple of mowers at the big box store so my wife could just set on them tell we can get to the dealer.She likes the rear engine mower because it's little and cute she says. There is not a Simplicity dealer near me but there is a Snapper dealer near me. The Snapper RE 210 looks to be the same as the Simplicity. Is the Snapper a good mower. I have not ruled out the Husqvarna YT42XLS yet. It just looks like the rear engine mower would be easier for her to handle because it's smaller.

JET4,

User Rivets may be right about if the wife is happy, you'll be happy. Myself, with my BAD experience with a Briggs & Stratton 24hp INTEK, I wouldn't buy a Snapper simply because B & S builds them now. If I were you I would let my wife demo it and the Husqvarna, see if she prefers the Snapper lever blade engagement versus a PTO on the Husqvarna, the tiny cutting deck with no nose rollers on the Snapper not to mention I would tell my wife about the lifetime fabricated deck warranty on the Husqvarna(I'm sure your wife depends on you, like mine does, for the "techie" stuff). But just between you & I...if I had let my wife choose our first ZTR I would own a Lowes or Home Depot Cub Cadet RZT, a Toro TimeCutter or an Ariens Zoom(cheap Residential model lines) instead of my Gravely Commercial. Sorry, I'd rather be in the doghouse until she got over it:0)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You may not let your wife pick out your Z, but she is not using it. As I said, I am not a Snapper fan, but they do make a good mower. Does not make a difference who owns it, Snapper was using Briggs engines long before they were purchased by Briggs. My recommendation is based on what will work best for the original poster and is also based on my past experience of working on the different units for the passed forty years. If I based my recommendations on your standards, I would be telling him to look at the Kubota Kommander, which is far better than your Gravely, but does cost a bit more, as well as overkill.

JET4

Threads
We went to the big box store to look again and my wife sat on a zero turn and said she would test drive one. Like I said we will buy from a dealer, so my new question is, what is a good zero turn for $3000.00 or under. I'm not looking for a comercial mower as I will only be cutting the grass once a week for 30-45 minutes or so. I hope to buy a somewhat decent zero turn for $3000.00 or less. Thanks again for your time and help. Needs to be 42 or smaller

Last edited:

TnHusky

Threads
Jet I'll agree that if the wife is going to use the mower then she also needs to be happy. With that being said, I've just purchased a Husqvarna YTH24K48 Fast Tractor and I mowed for the third time yesterday and I love this mower. Now the option that you were looking at will be awesome with the Kawi under the hood and the locking diff is just a + imo. If a ZTR is what you choose then great but if your looking for a rider then I would consider the Husqvarna 100%.