Riding Lawn Mower Dies After 15/20 Minutes - I've tried everything I can think of

Tinkerer200

Threads
  • / Riding Lawn Mower Dies After 15/20 Minutes - I've tried everything I can think of
I have some small jumpers, 18 ga. wire with little alligator clips on the ends. To check the solenoid I might remove a small section of the insulation from the positive lead to the solenoid back far enough from the terminal so it can easily be taped afterwards. Connect one end of the jumper there and the other end directly to the battery or the battery terminal on the starter solenoid which ever is handier and see if the engine stops at its' usual time. IF so, the problem is the solenoid. IF not, the problem is in the wiring or switch. Don't forget to disconnect the jumper or you will run the battery down. Also, don't forget to check that the ground from the solenoid to the engine is good.

Walt Conner.

avj300

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Riding Lawn Mower Dies After 15/20 Minutes - I've tried everything I can think of
Thanks for the Tip Walt.

I apologize for the delayed response, we were out of town for the long weekend, where there are no broken mowers that need repairing. It was so nice.

Before I saw your reply I tried actuating the solenoid just by hooking a jumper wire up to one of the pins and of course it works just fine. Next I turned the key to the on position and it retracted the solenoid plunger like it should. Turn the key off and the plunger pops back up. Of course this is with the mower cold so everything works as it should! I will try your jumper idea straight from the battery to see if I the mower still dies.

I do have the Nikki carburetor, bowl held on by screws and Nikki stamped right on the side. Thank you for the solenoid part number.

Adam Johnson

jlee4363

Threads
i had same issue yesterday on a mower,pulled the carb and the solenoid wires were clipped off at the solenoid with no extra wire it was snipped off smooth at the solenoid,i will pull it off today & check it out with jumper wires for functionality and also check the rubber ,i felt around for the wires behind the carb never found them "hard to see back there" but maybe this is my issue,i will report my findings later this mornin or afternoon

jlee4363

Threads
my carb cleaning and minor adjustment did it for me,came in this morning it was running fine,i was about to knock off yesterday when i put it on and it died evidently it hadn't had time to fill bowl,filter etc also i havbe decided the carb solenoid wire snipped was a factory ordeal,g'luck man