Export thread

Riding lawn mower Conversion to horizontal shaft

T

Tubby

I am about to buy a murray 12.5 hp Riding lawn mower, but the engine is blown. The thing is, i have have a perfectly fine engine with plety of torque, but it is a horizontal shaft. Could i still just remove the gas tank and mount it on its side? The carburetor would end up with the air intake at the top of the engine. The engine i have is almost the same as a honda 4 stroke.

K

KennyV

Hello & WELCOME to LMF....

Initially I'm sure it will look like you could do just what you described...
BUT there will be a couple things that will not allow it... Things like, if it has a pressurized oil pump, It needs to find the oil in the crankcase where it has the pick up...
Also the carb likely has a float that is going to have to have the fuel level where it expects to find it..., I wouldn't be surprised if a few seals and vents will also end up being where they shouldn't... so even if it looks like it may work... It likely wont, so you are going to be better off finding another vertical... :smile:KennyV

T

Tubby

Thanks. Recently i have found out the engine is not blown, but instead is just missing the carburetor. I havent ben able to find one though, because i dont know the year or the model of the engine or lawn mower. I think the engine is a tecumseh. For 50$ the mower looks to be in relatively good shape. should i buy it? Is it worth the investment for a new carb?

Attachments

K

KennyV

Absolutely... if the deck is any good that alone will be worth $50 to someone...
and finding a carb should not be to hard.. :smile:KennyV

M

mullins87

There should be a tag or label somewhere on the engine with three key pieces of information on it....the model number, engine code and family type. At least I think that's what those three numbers are called, could be called something different. Regardless, record those three numbers, they can be used to find any part you need for that engine.

W

wayne1

the engine model # should be located just above the spark plug location, stamped in the sheet metal, a horz. shaft engine can be used instead of a vertical shaft but will require the reworking of the pully system, keeping the main drive belt from the engine to the transition pully (double pully) in line with each other with some distance from each other to allow for some belt twisting, on the double pully, the top grove will go to the engine pully and the bottom pully will go to the transaxle. now keeping gear ratios the same; go on line to " gear ratios " you will find a lot of help in getting the math formular for the introduction of extra pullies, calculate what you have now and do the math, " as it were". good luck my friend.