rewire with push button

dwint

Threads
when you disconnect all the safety switches and rewire for a push button what do I do with the wires red and black coming from under the flywheel.i guess its the alternator wires

cashman

Threads
The red wire is probably your charging lead and the black wire is probably your kill lead. The short time I've been on here, I see a lot of electrical questions. It's really not that complicated if your familiar with what each component does. Even guys that have been in the business for many years get stumped including myself when it comes to electrical problems. And, I would never recommend eliminating any safety device on a lawnmower! Especially if you have children or other family members or friends using a mower that has had any of the safety devices altered or eliminated in some way. I've seen tragedy because of this!

There are two different types of ignition systems used on lawnmowers. Inductive Magneto and Battery ignition. The info below will apply to the inductive magneto system that is used on most lawnmowers, trimmers etc. Many of the switches have little letters stamped on each of the rear terminals or molded into the rear housing. Lets talk about what each of the letters mean and hopefully help take some of the mystery out of how electricity is distributed to your mower. Also it's a great idea to have a wiring diagram that applies to your mower because they are not all the same as to functions or wire colors etc. This is the function of a popular style replacement switch used on inductive magneto ignition systems. Your switch could be different than this. If your mower has fuel injection or an older style battery ignition, they will require a battery ignition type switch that has an "I" terminal instead of the "M" terminal. And what do you do whenever you work on electrical components? You disconnect the battery!

The terminals and functions on the rear of the Kohler part# 25-099-04 switch.

G= Ground This grounds the switch body to a metal part of the mower. Usually found on the outer edge of the switch body. The switch has to be grounded in order to stop the engine. If the switch is mounted in a plastic dash panel or something that won't conduct electricity, a separate wire has to be attached to ground the switch to the frame.

S= Starter This is the terminal that supplies voltage to the starter relay or solenoid with the switch in the start position, to supply voltage from the battery to the starter. A wire from the S terminal usually attaches to the side terminal of the solenoid. It can on some mowers go through a safety device like an interlock switch which will prevent the mower from starting if a safety device is blocking continuity.

R=Regulator Some mowers may not use the "R" terminal and have the charging lead directly attached to the battery cable between the battery and starter solenoid. But some mowers will have the B+ charging lead from the rectifier/regulator or charging coil whichever is present, attached to the R terminal. This is how you get charge back into the battery when you are mowing.

B= Battery The voltage input into the switch from the battery which the switch uses to distribute voltage to the other circuits. Usually has a fuse between the battery and the switch on this circuit. The fuse is there to protect the wiring circuits from being fried in case of a short in the system. This circuit usually originates at the battery cable between the battery and the starter solenoid.

M= Magneto ignition kill. When you turn the switch off, this circuit is grounded to the frame to stop the ignition voltage going to the spark plug. Without ignition voltage, the engine dies. There can also be other devices with continuity with this circuit. Things such as low oil pressure/level switches. Safety devices like the seat switch and reverse switches etc.

A= Accessory With the switch in the on or run position, this terminal can supply voltage to any switched accessories like lights etc. Some mower switches may not use an accessory terminal if there is no lights or any electrical accessories on the mower. Some mowers might supply voltage for lights or other accessories through a separate circuit breaker.

I=Ignition Only used on Battery Ignition systems. This terminal supplies battery voltage to the coil on older Battery ignition systems like the Kohler "K" series with electric start, or to the ECM on fuel injected engines.

To test the function of the switch, it's best to use a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM) set on infinity ohms.

With the switch in the OFF position, you should only have continuity between the "G" or switch body and the "M" terminal.

With the switch in the ON or RUN position, you should have continuity between the "B", "R", and "A" terminals.

With the switch in the START position, you should have continuity between the "B", and "S" terminals.

Thanks!!!