Retractable awning advice

Harriet

Threads
I am in the process of doing my homework on retractable awnings. I have a bank of six 60 inch wide windows on the south side of my house that I want to install them over. I'm not interested in the electric ones, only the manual ones. Are there any brands you have experience with that you could recommend?

Stevie-Ray

Threads
I have a single Sunsetter on my back deck, but it's an electric one. Works manually also, of course. I would highly recommend them, since I got mine when they were offering a bunch of extras for free.:laughing: It is really nice to be able to use the deck that was far too hot to use before. No experience with their small-window type ones, but I would think them every bit as good.

SunSetter

LandN

Threads
Im not a huge fan of awnings, though i fully respect the people that do. i want the most daylight/sunlight coming in the house through the windows with no restriction. and when i sit on the back deck i want to see ALL around and not look up and see awning bottoms,i think what would work for me would be an umbrella when sitting on the deck if the sun were a huge issue. we currently have a big tree shading our deck and the wife and i are on the verge of.... cut it,keep it,cut it keep it. but when the leaves are on and in full bloom you can look up and barely see the sky:eek: but awnings do look nice on some homes and i can understand the need for them for some people.:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sunshine is great but there are times in the summer I look for shade, I can see that a retractable awning would be handy for allowing the choice of shade or sunshine ... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sunshine is great but there are times in the summer I look for shade, I can see that a retractable awning would be handy for allowing the choice of shade or sunshine ... :smile:KennyV

We have two decks one faces south and one east at one time we thought about getting those Sunsetters awnings but they are very costly and only a few times a year at most would they be needed. We have both a travel trailer and a motorhome and I can tell you awnings can be a huge PIB to keep clean and in windy weather they have to be rolled up and put down that can be a real headache for many people. It's not like you put them up in spring and roll them up in fall.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have two decks one faces south and one east at one time we thought about getting those Sunsetters awnings but they are very costly and only a few times a year at most would they be needed. We have both a travel trailer and a motorhome and I can tell you awnings can be a huge PIB to keep clean and in windy weather they have to be rolled up and put down that can be a real headache for many people. It's not like you put them up in spring and roll them up in fall.

Shutters may be less expensive and problematic.

Harriet

Threads
I have a travel trailer that we added a couple of awnings to several years ago. The awnings were made by a company called ZipDee. They are completely manual and very easy to handle. Maybe that would be an option for the house. My husband was able to the installation himself too.