Export thread

Residential grade zero turn durability

J

jmarwill

I am a home owner with a 1-acre flat lot. I have been looking at the residential line of Toro zero turn mowers (timecutter series). I keep hearing that the residential grade mowers are not as durable as the commercial mowers (that's understandable) but will I notice a difference between the commercial and residential mower in terms of what each can do for me? In other words, is a residential mower likely to limit me?

If I perform regular maintenance on the mower and keep it stored in my garage, how long can I expect it to last (hours of us or number of years)?

Thanks. I'm new to zero-turn mowers and new to this forum - I appreciate any advice you can give me.

txzrider

txzrider

I will take a shot... my snapper lasted 12 years before I had any issues... and then it was a siezed bearing. I finally replaced it at 15 years ... I found a (still residential) mower that had a killer feature that I needed. My Country clipper Deck slides out from under it for very easy maintenance. With maintenance and proper care, I believe it will last 15 years are longer. It is heavier duty than the Snapper, but still not full blown commercial. So find one with the features and size and price to meet your needs and go for it.

R

Rivets

Being a Toro guy, I'll say you can't go wrong with the Timecutter series. If properly maintained it will last as long as anything else out there today. Have one customer who's Z we have been servicing since 2003. I would recommend adding a mulching kit, for a better looking lawn and an hour meter, so you can better track when to service.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Like the others said, if you maintain something it will last you a long time--even if it's not commercial. I think the Timecutter series is a good mower to look into! :thumbsup:

A_tank96

A_tank96

Based on what your using your mower for, which is just mowing your lawn, I think it would be a great mower for you. I use mine semi-commercially. It would probably take you about a half hour to do your lawn, that's two hours a month, which is less than 30 hours a year. I would expect it to last close to ten years if you take care of it probably, and maybe more. I highly recommend the mower. Makes mowing fun.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Not wanting to come off as a Toro-basher(I too believe they are good quality residential mowers), but you need to compare the same features and/or pricing to at least one or two other reputable brands. I would recommend Husqvarnas(or Dixons, made by Husqvarna but a little better quality) or Ariens(or Gravely's, made by Ariens but a little better quality). Personally, I never like to get "tunnel-vision" when shopping for a product that costs as much as a ZTR.

Ric

Ric

Not wanting to come off as a Toro-basher(I too believe they are good quality residential qential mowers), but you need to compare the same features and/or pricing to at least one or two other reputable brands. I would recommend Husqvarnas(or Dixons, made by Husqvarna but a little better quality) or Ariens(or Gravely's, made by Ariens but a little better quality). Personally, I never like to get "tunnel-vision" when shopping for a product that costs as much as a ZTR.

I agree with djdictn and I'm a Toro fan and I also believe they're a lot of good Quality Durable Residential mowers out there. Hustler, Bad Boy, Exmark, John Deere, Cub Cadet all are good quality reputable residential mowers just to mention a few more. I agree I never like to get "tunnel-vision" when looking but it seems sometimes the more you look, the more you get confused.:confused2:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

but it seems sometimes the more you look, the more you get confused.:confused2:

Very true! :rolleyes:

djdicetn

djdicetn

I must admit....after looking at approx. 8-9 brands of commercial ZTR's, when my head momentarily stopped spinning I purchased what "stuck out in my mind":0)

Ric

Ric

I must admit....after looking at approx. 8-9 brands of commercial ZTR's, when my head momentarily stopped spinning I purchased what "stuck out in my mind":0)

Yea there is a lot to look at, but what's funny is that ZTR mowers are all basically the same. They have the same brand motors, drives, etc. You just have to buy the one that best suits your needs and the one with the bells a whistles you want. I do believe that when you make the purchase regardless of make you need to do it from the most localized dealer with warranty and service in mind.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Yea there is a lot to look at, but what's funny is that ZTR mowers are all basically the same. They have the same brand motors, drives, etc. You just have to buy the one that best suits your needs and the one with the bells a whistles you want. I do believe that when you make the purchase regardless of make you need to do it from the most localized dealer with warranty and service in mind.

Warranty & service in mind.....hmmmmm...would that be related to this morning when I went to the dealer where I purchased my Gravely to buy my Christmas present(a sunshade attachment for the ROPS) and mentioned the recent recall on the fuel filter for the Kawasaki engine???? No hassle and a quick free-replacement, even though it's a relatively inexpensive product, but it could have been a more expensive part that was recalled!! I'm sure if you bought a ZTR at a big box retailer with a Kawasaki engine that had the recalled fuel filter you could also go to that same dealer(an authorized Kawasaki dealer) to get a replacement part but I'm certain that would not be as much of a "hassle-free" encounter!!

txzrider

txzrider

I like this comment... I bought mine based on the "feature it had that I never knew I needed!! Which was the slide out deck for easy maint.

jimrs

jimrs

I looked at all the z turns when I was shopping for a mower. I also read a lot of stuff on the internet. For a homeowner with just an acre to mow, about like mine I found the most bang for the buck in the Toro 4235. It was a last year with the Kaw engine. I got the mulching kit and an hour meter and have been very happy with it.

My neighbor had a Snapper and hated it as the deck would get knocked out of level if he hit anything on the side of the deck, Trees, edge of house anything. He borrowed mine and cut 2 acres with it and went an bought a ExMark the same size. He would not deal with the Toro dealer for some reason. He then later told me he wished he had the Toro for the 2 speed setting as cutting around the lake and trees it gave him more control than the ExMark.

People on this site want everyone to buy what they bought including the ones who are professional mowers. I think that most are of good quality with the exception of a few that I won't name because I don't like them don't mean there bad I just don't like them and won't buy that brand.

Stick to a local dealer and a name brand and you will be happy with whatever you purchase.

Ragnar4841

Ragnar4841

I like this comment... I bought mine based on the "feature it had that I never knew I needed!! Which was the slide out deck for easy maint.

Similar yet different thing for me--started out intent on buying a Gravely (as I am a Gravely 816 owner), looked at several other brands and swirled a bit until I narrowed it to a decision between the Gravely HD 48 and Kubota Kommander. Really liked the heavy-duty deck hanger & Kawasaki on the Gravely. Preferred the ergonomics & pricing ($500 less) of the Kubota. Beyond that, the units are similar in almost every way.

What it unexpectedly came down to as I was standing at the Gravely dealer & staring at the HD was the chute on the 48" deck and what would fit in my shed & through my gate. The Kubota has a flip-up plastic one (which I hold up in place with a bungee without getting out of the seat). The Gravely has a nice, heavy-duty rubber one but it's held in place with a pin & would require me to get off the seat to remove & reinstall it using two hands every time (and when placing it in storage position it would ding up the paint on the deck). Pain in the butt!

Never expected such a minor feature that broke the tie! Kubota wins, but I think I would have been just as happy with the Gravely had it fit.

Ric

Ric

People on this site want everyone to buy what they bought including the ones who are professional mowers. I think that most are of good quality with the exception of a few that I won't name because I don't like them don't mean there bad I just don't like them and won't buy that brand.

I don't think people on this site want you to buy what they bought, most of all the Professional mowers as you say. I think a lot of people come to the forum looking for information on a given piece of equipment with there minds already made up to the fact that what they are looking at is what they I want or is the best and if you believe that it is by all means go buy it. I mean really if a person thinks he already has all the answers why waste time asking any questions.

txzrider

txzrider

Similar yet different thing for me--started out intent on buying a Gravely (as I am a Gravely 816 owner), looked at several other brands and swirled a bit until I narrowed it to a decision between the Gravely HD 48 and Kubota Kommander. Really liked the heavy-duty deck hanger & Kawasaki on the Gravely. Preferred the ergonomics & pricing ($500 less) of the Kubota. Beyond that, the units are similar in almost every way.

What it unexpectedly came down to as I was standing at the Gravely dealer & staring at the HD was the chute on the 48" deck and what would fit in my shed & through my gate. The Kubota has a flip-up plastic one (which I hold up in place with a bungee without getting out of the seat). The Gravely has a nice, heavy-duty rubber one but it's held in place with a pin & would require me to get off the seat to remove & reinstall it using two hands every time (and when placing it in storage position it would ding up the paint on the deck). Pain in the butt!

Never expected such a minor feature that broke the tie! Kubota wins, but I think I would have been just as happy with the Gravely had it fit.

I certainly understand. I wish I had that on mine... the newer Country Clippers went to the industrial strenght rubber type flip up shield. In my case I had been fighting my deck the week before laying in a field trying to get baleing wire out from under it... so as soon as I saw the dealer slide the deck out by pulling 1 lever... I was sold.

txzrider

txzrider

Now I have decided I need another feature!! I need to have the mulching kit cover be easy to attach and remove. I finish mowing at my house and then we load up the mower to take it to mow my Dad's acre... for that we need the mulching cover off.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Now I have decided I need another feature!! I need to have the mulching kit cover be easy to attach and remove. I finish mowing at my house and then we load up the mower to take it to mow my Dad's acre... for that we need the mulching cover off.

You could use something like this:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/build-yourself/17003-diy-ocdc-discharge-chute.html

D

ddbtdd

I would recommend Husqvarnas(or Dixons, made by Husqvarna but a little better quality)

I second that.
I really like the Dixon Ultra52/Husqvarna's more bang for the buck but I'm quite happy with my Snapper Pro s150xt.
The Ultra52 is an entry level commercial grade mower btw.