Repowered Tiger Cub running strong!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
I fixed the cranking problem, the voltage regulator on the new engine stopped working after 4.3 Hours. Put the VR from the old engine on the new engine and charging system voltage is back to 14.40 VDC. Stopped at my local dealer yesterday and did a warranty claim for the VR and picked up a new one. I have ordered a Signal Dynamics charging system monitor and I will install it when I receive it.
Other than these minor hickups the machine is running strong. I expect that fuel consumption will settle down as the engine brakes in, but not much more than the former B&S 26 HP engine, new engine is 30 HP with the Cyclonic Air Filtration system. So far I'm impressed with this air filtering system and it is the primary reason that I decided to repower rather than overhaul the original engine. ZTRs are dirty around the engine and worse with a collection system which I use about 90% of my mowing time.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I installed the new voltage regulator today, but I'm not overly pleased with the voltage which is 14.10 VDC. The VR from the old engine was at 14.48 VDC at full throttle. I'll check the voltage again after I charge the battery overnight and with another person I'll check the voltage with the engine at full throttle and the deck turning to see what the operational voltage is.
I did try another voltmeter but got the same readings. I do have a shunt, but it is an automotlve unit and the minimum amps with it are more than the B&S charging system is rated for. I see that Briggs has two that they suggest for use on small engines, maybe I'll invest in them!!! $$$$$$
Later

Last edited:

dnewton3

Threads
Anything at 13.5+ volts should be more than adequate. I don't think it's worth worrying about .4 volts (14.1 v 14.5). In fact, that seems a bit strong, overall. 13.5 to 14.0 is more than enough to charge a battery while running.

I'd not sweat it if I were you.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi dnewton3,
Recently chatted with a friend who is a certified small engine tech and we discussed the charging system voltage. He had been to a small engine update seminar and the change in voltage had been brought up. Newer small engines and automotive charging systems have seen a small reduction in the max regulated voltage. This has to do with changes in battery technology and 14.15 VDC is now the norm whereas 14.3-14.5 VDC had been previously.
So I'm OK with the reduction in voltage now that I have been informed. I checked the voltage on my Hustler X-ONE, 14.13 VDC, and my 2011 Ford van 14.14 VDC, 2003 Ford van 14.46 VDC, older system.

Last edited: