Repower Grasshopper 720K to HF Predator 22

user4579

Threads
After all these years (1993) Time for a new engine. The 20 HP Kohler was rebuilt once and with the prices of the machine shops and parts to go 0.030 over, it looks like the better way to go is another engine. Harbor Freight 22Hp Predator looks about right. Aligning the new engine and hooking up the electric and drive belts for the mower is easy. My question is the drive for the pumps comes off the front of the flywheel. Has anyone done this swap? And if so what do I need to adapt the Predator flywheel to the shaft that drives the pumps? As Always, THANKS for all the help in advance!

Attachments

• image_25155.jpg Harbor Freight 22Hp.jpg
    image_25155.jpg Harbor Freight 22Hp.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there is no provision for drilling the flywheel to fit the stub shaft then you need to replace the flywheel with the appropriate Honda one.
Check the crank under the flywheel, it should be metric as most of the Predator ( very appropriate name ) uses the design of Honda engines that are out of patient or just plain stolen from Honda.
Do not expect a friendly reception from your local Honda dealer & measure very carefully because order the wrong part & you will not get a refund.
Funny enough Honda are quite hostile towards the company that has stolen it's R & D and even more so to the people who sell or buy them .

I can not count the number of people who have come through the gate with a dead one and expect me to know which Honda part will fit because the salesperson at the tool store where they bought the engine told them "Honda parts will fit ".
The last time I replaced a pull start I charged the customer my full hourly rate while I rumaged through my box of starter to find one that would fit and even then I had to exchange the cup as well because the original one was too short .

fixit1ddh

Threads
Try this link