Replacing axle bushings

Piddler

Threads
I have a 70's horse tiller and I need to change the axle bushings. I checked the Troy-bilt manuals and could not find any information. Am I looking in the wrong place or is there another source for the information?

Thanks

Piddler

Threads
Thanks. That is what I was looking for.

Piddler

Threads
OK, I followed instructions and got everything back together. Did not seem like a big deal. I had a little problem aligning the key slots but nothing serious. BUT when I turned the axle nothing would happen. Also the eccentric arm would not move to move the clutch.

I removed the axle again and the moon key was missing. I am sure it was in place when I reinstalled the axle because I had to finagle the axle a little to get the key through the slots.

I have looked all around the tiller and the key is not there. Is there any way that the key could come out after it goes through the first gear. I fished around a little with a magnet and all I got was some sludge, 3 finish nails and part of what looked like destroyed bearing cage.

This has me baffled.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have never knocked the key out reinstalling, but have knocked it out more than once while removing the axle. Normally happens if the key is facing the bottom when the axle is removed so could also happen when reinstalling the axle.

Piddler

Threads
The keyway was up when the axle came out. I looked everywhere around the tiller. Could it be in the bottom of the transmission?

Will a regular 1/2 moon key work or will I need to order one?

Thanks again

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely in the bottom of the transmission. Or that is where I have to fish them out when I loose one. regular half moon should work if that is what the one looked like. Seems like some had extension ears on them though.