Tires Replacement wheel for 917.387460?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, evidently the only option I have left is buying an entire set of either 7" or 8" wheels for my mower. Any idea as to whether I should go 1/2" larger or 1/2" smaller?

Just buy two. You can set the adjustment for those two different that the front two.

Get the 8 inch and put them in the rear.

mikehouse

Threads
So now i'm super curious as to wat did u do.Did you go up 1/2" or come down.This situation is helping someone else i'm sure.

Bob E

Threads
You could probably find a decent used push mower for the price of a set of wheels. If your real lucky you might find one just like yours or at least close enough you will be able to keep it for spare parts.
That's what I'm doing with my 917.377572 and 917.377280. :thumbsup:

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still haven't decided. I'm leery of getting two larger wheels for the back because won't that cause a tilt to the blade? I'm pretty ignorant of mower grass-cutting physics, but it seems like you wouldn't want the blade to be anything but parallel to the ground...

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still haven't decided. I'm leery of getting two larger wheels for the back because won't that cause a tilt to the blade? I'm pretty ignorant of mower grass-cutting physics, but it seems like you wouldn't want the blade to be anything but parallel to the ground...

A slight tilt(toward the front) is preferable according to the posts on this board.

But, You were talking about having to buy four tires, right? Set the back tires at a lower setting on the wheel gauges. If it doesn't work, you buy two more to match on the front.

Bob E

Threads
If you have a soldering iron you might be able to plastic weld the cracked one back together.
This is just one out of many plastic welding videos on youtube

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I finally bought four 8" wheels. I had to use a hacksaw to cut about 1/16 of an inch off the protruding hub, but they fit and they work. (I lowered the mowing deck correspondingly and seem t be getting about the same results as before. Thanks very much for all the suggestions!