Tires Replacement wheel for 917.387460?

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a Craftsman push mower, model 917.387460, which I bought in 2004. One of the wheels has cracked, and needs replacing. The Craftsman wheel I bought from Sears turned out to be a) too large, and b) redesigned in such a way that I can't tighten the nut all the way - and so when the wheel rolls, it catches on the nut and locks it up! I went to the Sears website, and that was no help whatsoever. The person I chatted with insisted that the substituted part was a "functional replacement part" even after I explained that it clearly wasn't. His suggestion was to change out the wheel assembly - which of course ignores the fact that the wheel is the wrong size, and to replace one wheel I'd wind up changing all four wheels plus the assemblies!

Any advise on how I can track down the actual "vintage" replacement part?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I own a Craftsman push mower, model 917.387460, which I bought in 2004. One of the wheels has cracked, and needs replacing. The Craftsman wheel I bought from Sears turned out to be a) too large, and b) redesigned in such a way that I can't tighten the nut all the way - and so when the wheel rolls, it catches on the nut and locks it up! I went to the Sears website, and that was no help whatsoever. The person I chatted with insisted that the substituted part was a "functional replacement part" even after I explained that it clearly wasn't. His suggestion was to change out the wheel assembly - which of course ignores the fact that the wheel is the wrong size, and to replace one wheel I'd wind up changing all four wheels plus the assemblies!

Any advise on how I can track down the actual "vintage" replacement part?

What is the part # of the tire they sold you?

part number 532800220 Wheel Tire is what I see at OEM Replacement parts for Tools, Appliances, Consumer Electronics and more | eReplacement Parts

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe it was 532800220. At least, the image the Sears online rep showed me with that part number matched what I bought at the store (I returned it, so I don't have the package to look at).

I don't know what is going on...with the one from Sears.

take the broken wheel and go to a hardware store and get one to use that matches. Our ACE hardware has a good selection...probably Lowe's also.

mikehouse

Threads
I own a CRAFTSMAN 917.377131 pushmower myself,and i used repairclinic.com.They do replacement parts too.At fair prices.Check 'em out.

Jack17

Threads
They sold you a wrong wheel. With AYP product happens all the time. Verify part # from original packaging. Return it and get the right wheel back from searspartsdirect.com
All four wheels are the same, wheel assy's are not and of two different configuration.

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads
They sold you a wrong wheel. With AYP product happens all the time. Verify part # from original packaging. Return it and get the right wheel back from searspartsdirect.com
All four wheels are the same, wheel assy's are not and of two different configuration.

Searspartsdirect.com is where I had the problems noted above.

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a CRAFTSMAN 917.377131 pushmower myself,and i used repairclinic.com.They do replacement parts too.At fair prices.Check 'em out.

Thank you for the suggestion. They did not have any wheels for my mower.

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know what is going on...with the one from Sears.

take the broken wheel and go to a hardware store and get one to use that matches. Our ACE hardware has a good selection...probably Lowe's also.

thank you for responding. Striking out all over the place. Ace doesn't have them. Tru Value doesn't. Ditto Menards and Home Depot. Sadly, not a Lowe's within 50 miles of here. I found a few other brands of 7-1/2" wheels on eBay, but not many - just my luck I buy a mower with a weird wheel size.

The Tru Value folks were super nice, and a guy's going to check with his distributor using the serial number of my mower, vs. the model number. I have no idea if that will make a difference, but it's the only hope I have right now.

Looking ahead... supposing he strikes out too. I'll have to change out all 4 wheels. Should I go up to 8 inch, or down to 7? I'm guessing go up to 8 and then lower the deck accordingly. Any thoughts on that?

Scarecrow64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, evidently the only option I have left is buying an entire set of either 7" or 8" wheels for my mower. Any idea as to whether I should go 1/2" larger or 1/2" smaller?