Replace wheel bearings for Honda HR214,HR216,HR216 (all alluminum deck ) 8" wheel

tranchinh

Threads
  • / Replace wheel bearings for Honda HR214,HR216,HR216 (all alluminum deck ) 8" wheel
Replace wheel bearings for Honda HR214,HR216,HR216 (all alluminum deck ) 8" wheel

Honda original bearings are good but no seal,allow dirt and water get in,get rusty after few season .I have been replace them with cheap bearings bought on Ebay but they have seal so it last long time
Front bearings 1616-2RS cost about $12 for 10
Rear drive shaft bearings correct size is F6202-2RS but it too tight have to adjust both rear wheels at same time .You may want to use 99502HNR bearings with 5/8 inside diameter so it a little loose then can adjust wheel as normal

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 36

primerbulb120

Threads
  • / Replace wheel bearings for Honda HR214,HR216,HR216 (all alluminum deck ) 8" wheel
Re: Replace wheel bearings for Honda HR214,HR216,HR216 (all alluminum deck ) 8" wheel

Good info. Another bearing to keep in mind is the 45-112 Flanged Wheel Bearing. It's used in 90% of ball bearing mower wheels, many self propelled mowers have them on the transmission axle shaft as well. 45-112 is the Oregon part number, if it has a standard size code I have yet to find it...

jsalis57

Threads
Re: Replace wheel bearings for Honda HR214,HR216,HR216 (all alluminum deck ) 8" wheel

Honda original bearings are good but no seal,allow dirt and water get in,get rusty after few season .I have been replace them with cheap bearings bought on Ebay but they have seal so it last long time
Front bearings 1616-2RS cost about $12 for 10
Rear drive shaft bearings correct size is F6202-2RS but it too tight have to adjust both rear wheels at same time .You may want to use 99502HNR bearings with 5/8 inside diameter so it a little loose then can adjust wheel as normal

Interesting. Yes, sealed bearings are better by design and I also agree Honda's bearings are good to start with.

What do you mow to expose your bearings to so much moisture? They certainly are rusty. My mowers are 30+ years old and my bearings are still good as I oil them once a season.

Jeff

tranchinh

Threads

It depend on where do you live ,Here in Houston it's hot and humid only grass that grow well is St Augustine .I don't cut grass when it's rain but if it's still wet I still cut it or I don't have other time to do so .
In the old time when you need a bearing or seal you go to auto parts store or Perry bearing they check inside dia.outside dia and thickness then sell you correct part .Now they sell part for the correct vehicle or lawnmower model#,part# and you end up paying 4 times the cost .(may be more)
That is the main reason I have this post,Lawnmower doesn't move that fast,you don't need 10,000 RPM bearings for wheels .After changing with these cheap bearings you will fell the mower rigged ,moving smooth and less drag for the trans.
Bearings for BBC is different I have not change them yet but if I have to I will check the size then buy good quality bearing not $35 at Honda dealer

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Found this on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-lawn...559683&hash=item21460581e5:g:FRQAAMXQzopRySR7
Look at the bearings,its the same I use $12 for 10

The most faked item in the world is bearings, so much so that major manufacturers now pay for leads to sellers of fakes.
There is more to a bearing than the physical dimensions.
Now push mower wheel bearings are not a critical application so any junk bearing that was rejected by the original customer as being defective will probably get you by.
However buying unbranded bearings off ebay from a reseller who does not exist except in cyber space is a bad practice to get into.
Unless you have very expensive equipment you can not tell if the races were ground & polished to the required surface finish or just machined, you can not tell if the races have been hardened to the correct levels.
The same goes for the balls / rollers and then there is the physical number of balls/rollers in the bearings, I had a customer whose "new spindle" bearings failed, destroying the housings, blades and chomping a big hole in the deck.
When I pulled the dust seals off the one intact bearing it had 3 less balls than the NTN's I get from my wholesaler in individual branded boxes.
The bearing shop identified them as low speed low load bearings used in sub standard shopping trolley wheels.
Any bearing that comes loose or cello wrapped as a roll were made for a factory for a specific purpose and using them in any other application can result in failures.
A printed cardboard carton does add to both the cost price & the logistical costs but it does not account for the difference between a $ 20 bearing and a $ 2 bearing.
Salvage / surplus merchants get their hands on these production bearings and ultimately they end up for sale on a phantom web site many of which close down every so often so the owners can remain anonymous and beyond legal reach.
In many cases the owners of these sites live overseas and the only local entity is a bank account used to clear funds so if some one does try to take legal action , there nothing to sue.

The advertisement is also factually wrong, those bearings are not water tight.
Water tight bearings look different , are wider and use a different type of grease.
The good ones have a double lipped sprung metal seals

chetbaker

Forum Newbie
Threads

Good info. Another bearing to keep in mind is the 45-112 Flanged Wheel Bearing. It's used in 90% of ball bearing mower wheels, many self propelled mowers have them on the transmission axle shaft as well. 45-112 is the Oregon part number, if it has a standard size code I have yet to find it...
Stumbled across this thread and wondered if anyone could answer this question: How do you remove the rear wheel bearing from the adjustment assembly? Trying to restore an old honda hr214 that I used as a kid and it would be great if I could replace the rear wheel bearings with new ones.

golfergordy

Threads
I recently put together a Honda HR214SX with parts from 4 different HR214SX's that were other peoples' throw aways that I accumulated, using the best of the parts from these 4-donor mowers. I embarked on this project when the last mower I obtained had a perfect engine, which preempted the need to rebuild one of the other engines for this project. For the rear axle shaft bearings (which chetbaker refers to as rear wheel bearings) I didn't replace the bearings, but rather cleaned the existing bearings by squirting WD-40 into the bearings, letting the WD-40 soak in, spinning them around many times, and then repeating this process another couple of times, finally blowing compressed air into the bearings to complete the cleaning process. I then packed in automotive wheel bearing grease as best I could. The bearings then turned much smoother than they did before the cleaning process. Honda wheel & axle shaft ball bearings aren't subject to much of a load, so I figured that when mowing a lawn you would never be able to tell whether or not new bearings were installed or if the old ones were cleaned and repacked with grease. This is the 2nd season that I'm using this 4-into-1 mower and it works (and looks) like it's brand new, even though it's circa 1985.