Engine Replace Craftsman/Tecumseh with B&S How to Know It'll Fit?

cumquott

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Replace Craftsman/Tecumseh with B&S How to Know It'll Fit?
Hello. I have a 14(?) year-old Craftsman 917.387323 push mower with the 143.996000 Tecumseh 6.0 engine (family WTPXS.1851BA). This engine has become troublesome, after years of merely being b*tchy.

I can try to get it fixed, buy a new mower, or replace the engine. The deck is in good shape and I like certain features of the mower itself - chiefly, it's indestructible, no plastic anywhere that it matters, I like the bag, etc. So I want to consider replacing the engine. I figure I can also take a step up for this mower. Then I can work on the Tecumseh in my spare time. I'm not a pro, but I do have lots of grass to cut, and possibly will have some paying opportunities in the near-future. So I need to do something!

I'm considering a Briggs & Stratton Pro-Series Push Mower Engine 190cc, 7/8in. x 3 5/32in. Shaft, Model# 121S02-2015. The bolt pattern diameter is good at 8 inches, and I can measure the output shaft on the old mower (but haven't yet), but how do I know that the new engine will fit in the deck hole without interfering with, say, the rear discharge, etc?

I suppose I could just get the engine and try it while wearing white gloves but I'd rather know up front. Any advice?

Thanks!
--Glen

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Almost all mounts for pushmower engines are universal. If you can get the dimensions of the new engine, then measure to make sure it will not interfer. But other than width and length the only thing to look at is shaft length. The hookup for the engine control cable may be different and may need to be changed to adapt to the new engine.

Mini Motors

Threads
I've run into older Craftsman that had mounting holes for both Briggs and Tecumseh engines. But Ilengine is correct . The newer ones have the same bolt pattern. But regardless of age, the determining factors are shaft diameter and length. Match these, and your existing blade holder will fit and be at the right height.

cumquott

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, ILENGINE - I wanted to reply with a "thanks" sooner, but kinda lost track of time. Thanks to both of you for the replies.

I'm going to rebuild the carb on the Tecumseh with some new parts that I just received. I'll see how it goes, and if not good enough maybe get the B&S. I'm comfortable, that if I pay attention to the shaft dimensions, it'll work.

Thanks again.
--Glen