Export thread

Repairman needed

mikehouse

mikehouse

Anybody good at fixing Craftsman lawnmowers in Greensboro,NC? I need mine repaired ASAP.Hit me up.

M

mechanic mark

Yellow pages, call & ask how long they have been in business & how much they charge for a complete tune-up. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Post your complete model number from mower. Also post engine make: example B&S, model xxxxxx, type xxxx-xx, code xxxxxxxx

mikehouse

mikehouse

Yellow pages?!!.....

StarTech

StarTech

Head shake. Mark is just showing his age. The yellow pages are nearly non existent today since cell phones have taken away most phone books. You still can google for local businesses in your area. I hope...

dougand3

dougand3

You can post on FB or CL - "Any hobby mechanics in area x? I have a mower not starting."

mikehouse

mikehouse

I'd rather do that here.Where you actually have people that can lead me in the right direction.Either get repaired or purchase 1 brand spanking new.But work is steady so i may have to bite the bullet and get a new 1.Remember social distance and wash your hands.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Bite the bullet.

B

bertsmobile1

So tell us EXACTLY what naughtyness it is up to.
There is enough brainpower & experience here to get just about anything back up & running.
IF you don't know what part is called just take a photo of it .
It is amazing just how many people who have never held a screwdriver in their hands have done a full strip down & rebuild under the guidance of the people here .
There is no problem too bit or too small that can not be fixed here.
No question too silly or trivial that it will not get answered .

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I'd rather do that here.Where you actually have peple that can lead in the right direction.Either get repaired or purchase 1 brand spanking new.But work is steady so i may have to bite the bullet and get a new 1.Remember social distance and wash your hands.

Easy there, killer. I sell brand used ones, that are good when they leave here. lol

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Head shake. Mark is just showing his age. The yellow pages are nearly non existent today since cell phones have taken away most phone books. You still can google for local businesses in your area. I hope...

I follow some facebook page that offers help to those with small engines. And the help that offered, well it's many times "chuckle worthy." Other times it'll just piss you off.
One guy posted a video of his Kawasaki twin smoking like a freight train. One of the "advisors" told him to use 20w-50.

StarTech

StarTech

I used to try sell restored equipment too but all I got was insulting offers. So I quit trying now people are wanting to know if got anything for sale but sorry I don't as I part everything out now. I am not spending my time and money repairing a piece of equipment just to be insulted.

Funny thing my brother could half a## repair them and sale for the same price as the ones I tried to sell and mine where much better condition.

I follow some facebook page that offers help to those with small engines. And the help that offered, well it's many times "chuckle worthy." Other times it'll just piss you off.
One guy posted a video of his Kawasaki twin smoking like a freight train. One of the "advisors" told him to use 20w-50.
Kawasaki does spec SAE20w50 or 15w50 full synthetic for those engines but that doesn't resolve heavy smoking of a worn out engine. Matter of fact I just got in 5 gallons of the Kawasaki synthetic oil with zinc additive so it can restore some of the cylinder damage.

mikehouse

mikehouse

So tell us EXACTLY what naughtyness it is up to.
There is enough brainpower & experience here to get just about anything back up & running.
IF you don't know what part is called just take a photo of it .
It is amazing just how many people who have never held a screwdriver in their hands have done a full strip down & rebuild under the guidance of the people here .
There is no problem too bit or too small that can not be fixed here.
No question too silly or trivial that it will not get answered .
My FWD self propel
Yellow pages, call & ask how long they have been in business & how much they charge for a complete tune-up. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Post your complete model number from mower. Also post engine make: example B&S, model xxxxxx, type xxxx-xx, code xxxxxxxx
This Craftsman is a FWD 22" mower.#917.377131.Self oropel won't engage.I have been thinking it is the pulley for the belt.Since SearsParts is no more,pulley is unavailable.Wheel gears are good as the wheels are still new.It was suggested maybe it's the transmission.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I used to try sell restored equipment too but all I got was insulting offers. So I quit trying now people are wanting to know if got anything for sale but sorry I don't as I part everything out now. I am not spending my time and money repairing a piece of equipment just to be insulted.

Funny thing my brother could half a## repair them and sale for the same price as the ones I tried to sell and mine where much better condition.

Kawasaki does spec SAE20w50 or 15w50 full synthetic for those engines but that doesn't resolve heavy smoking of a worn out engine. Matter of fact I just got in 5 gallons of the Kawasaki synthetic oil with zinc additive so it can restore some of the cylinder damage.

I spent years in sales. Everything from Houses to Kirby vacuum cleaners. My sales rate is probably 90%.
The John Deere I picked up from the scrap yard, with the intek pro, is one butt ugly mower. But it was only $20. The paint on it is about as bad as I've ever seen. But I have three people lined up for it, when I get the deck finished up.
Picked up a good Husqvarna z246, two Husq trimmers, two chainsaws, a homelite trimmer and a backpack blower for $300 a couple of weeks ago, from someone getting out of the lawn care business (lol before the season started). Already have $700 profit on those, and still have 3 left to sell.
I sold the zero turn way to cheap. As soon as I listed it ($900), people on facebook were fighting over it. First one here, with the cash, live 1.5 hours away.
There's good money it them, all season long. During the winter, it's a great time to buy them dirt cheap, and fix them up. I wished I had 20 riders right now, cause I'd have them sold in a couple of weeks. At an average of $350 each profit, with usually less than $100 in parts and 1 to 2 hours labor, how can you turn that down?

This Kawasaki, if it was ring damage, or anything else, changing oil viscosity wasn't going to change much of anything. BTW, the one who said to change the oil, didn't even know what oil was in it, when he said to change it. The one who posted the video didn't list that information. I guess the point of this, was on that facebook page, about 90% of all the advice is just guesses, from people who don't work on them.
You know the type. One's that pay more attention to the comic strip of Taryl's skit, than they do the information he gives.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

My FWD self propel

This Craftsman is a FWD 22" mower.#917.377131.Self oropel won't engage.I have been thinking it is the pulley for the belt.Since SearsParts is no more,pulley is unavailable.Wheel gears are good as the wheels are still new.It was suggested maybe it's the transmission.

When you say won't engage, I imagine you're saying the cable is working fine. But the belt won't get tight around the pulley. If the belt tightens enough to turn the trans pulley, and it's still not working, then you might remove it from the mower, and take it to a small engine shop that has parts mowers in the back and ask if they have a good used on.
I've tried my hand as repairing them, and never had any luck. The guy I worked for, who was certified by many Brands, didn't mess with them. His friend, who always came by the shop, (who has at least 30 years in the business) said he stopped trying to fix them a long time ago.
The guts look simple enough. But I never could get one right. So when one would come in, with a bad trans, i'd take one off a parts mower (everything except the wheels) and install it on the customers mower. And let it go at that.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Then you get "some guy on the internet" with a name like hammer mechanic (that can't be encouraging) giving out advice and probably hasn't got a clue.

H

HarmonySeeker

FYI, if you can get some Never-Seize or molybdenum paste, that has been successfully used for that purpose, as well.

I

ILENGINE

Nothing like people looking for $100-150 riding mowers, or $20 push mowers.

StarTech

StarTech

Definitely nothing like it. I had one last said "I can buy them at yard sales all day long for $20" to which I said "Then why are you here?" and then I show him to way out.

mikehouse

mikehouse

Bite the bullet.
I did.Bought my boss's mom-in-laws Husqvarna for $100.Only used twice.We'll see in the morning.

B

bertsmobile1

My FWD self propel

Take the cover off and turn the transmission pulley by hand with the S/P engaged the mower should just about go 1:1 wheels to pulley.
Sears did not make that mower some one else did and all they did was fit the engine sears specified and paint it the colour sears specified.
The 917 code means that Roper designed it and AYP ( Husqvarna ) made it .
SO it is fixable if it s not all that old.

IF you are lucky som one with access to a trade portal can do a cross to another model so we can see if your parts are available.
he simple test is to tie off the engage lever / bail whatever .
Pull the spark plug out . remove the cover over the transmission and pull on the starter rope .
You are looking to see if the belt turns the pully.
IF it does then undo the drive and turn the pulley on the transmission and see if it moves the axel & wheels

Let us know how it goes.

mikehouse

mikehouse

Then you get "some guy on the internet" with a name like hammer mechanic (that can't be encouraging) giving out advice and probably hasn't got a clue.
Lmao,oh snap.

mikehouse

mikehouse

Hey all.This has been a great feed for all.So to shorten this,i had already taken the cover off the s/p belt.With the lever engaged it was very harder to turn as i had changed the belt before.Starting the mower was no problem.Even tilted it and it ran fine until i pull the S/P lever.Then it screams and "grinds".So to end the suffering,i gave it away to some guy as was.The end.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Hey all.This has been a great feed for all.So to shorten this,i had already taken the cover off the s/p belt.With the lever engaged it was very harder to turn as i had changed the belt before.Starting the mower was no problem.Even tilted it and it ran fine until i pull the S/P lever.Then it screams and "grinds".So to end the suffering,i gave it away to some guy as was.The end.

Why didn't you take it to a small engine shop?

mikehouse

mikehouse

Why didn't you take it to a small engine shop?
Could NOT find 1.Ace hardware fixes them,but all both places had a 2 week hold.Tried another lawn/garden place and they too had a 2 week hold.In the meantime my boss gave me a deal i couldn't refuse.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Could NOT find 1.Ace hardware fixes them,but all both places had a 2 week hold.Tried another lawn/garden place and they too had a 2 week hold.In the meantime my boss gave me a deal i couldn't refuse.

I wished there was more guys like you. Just tare into something, give up and give it away. I have people in my area trying to sell me something thats rusting away under a back yard tree, that's been there for 3 years, wanting $100 for it. LOL..
I advice them that the scrap yard gives about $10 for riders (with engines) and you have to load it haul it up there. I'll give $10 and come and get it.
LMAO... Next week, I'll go the scrap yard, and there it will be. HA HA HA HA HA

mikehouse

mikehouse

Well,truthfully,up until 5 years ago i didn't give a hoot about 'mowers.But once i was GIVEN the Craftsman i was hooked.My giver showed me WHY it didn't run.EXPLAINED how it happened.Then gave it to me after showing me how to fix and prevent.When i can't go any farther myself,it's either Youtube or a shop.IF i can't get no satisfaction then it's time to cut losses and move on.

H

HarmonySeeker

I wished there was more guys like you. Just tare into something, give up and give it away. I have people in my area trying to sell me something thats rusting away under a back yard tree, that's been there for 3 years, wanting $100 for it. LOL..
I advice them that the scrap yard gives about $10 for riders (with engines) and you have to load it haul it up there. I'll give $10 and come and get it.
LMAO... Next week, I'll go the scrap yard, and there it will be. HA HA HA HA HA
Eh, it was only a craftsman, anyway.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Eh, it was only a craftsman, anyway.

Craftsman sell. Heck, just about anything running decent sells.

H

HarmonySeeker

Yep, they sell........for $20 on a good day!:LOL:
And so the circle turns.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Don't be dis'ing Crapsman mowers. Those things are a gold mine for spindles, belts, front end bushings and blades. $$$!?