I am trying to help a friend with his Laser z 60_that he uses commercially. It is a model LZ27KC605 serial 602244. Owner thought it was leaking from the hoses and had me replace both hose to the pump. The pump is a Hydro Gear model PJ-8GAB-EY1X. The leak appears to be coming from the charge pump end of the pump. (The opposite end of the driveshaft end). It looks like the leak is coming from the seal where the charge pump bolts onto the main body with two bolts. I have never had one of these pumps apart. I did buy a 70525 seal kit which I have not opened which I can return if unopened. I am hoping that the large rubber o-ring is the problem and that it is possible to remove the two screws that hold the charge pump onto the body and easily replace the o-ring and reinstall the charge pump. I have been able to find a service manual for PJ pumps on line. I assume the pump would be best serviced with the pump removed from the mower? Anyone with any experience on a pump rebuild like this that can provide general information and guidance. Again I have no experience with this type of repair. New pumps run from $700 to $1150 for a pump from Exmark. Being inexperienced I am not sure that there isn't something else leaking further into the pump causing fluid to get to to the area it is ultimately leaking from. Any and all input welcome.
Spit
Please verify your pump numbers as Hydro Gear says that number does not exist. Appears to be a PJ-BGAB-EY1X-XXXX with both serial number breaks using the same seal kit..
If it is the charge pump cover o-ring which btw is a Dash 144 o-ring it can charged without fully pulling the pump if have good access to it. Just make you mark the cover position as be reversed and change the pump direction. I also recommend changing the pump cover bolts to 12 pt version as the current one are extremely close and extra thin socket maybe needed.
The Dash 144 [41UK42] are dirt cheap from Grainger. The last time I brought 10 ea they were only $1.90. But shipping is a lot so do a local pickup.
But really you should use UV dye to trace the leak first that way you exactly where the leak is as the housing gasket maybe the source. If that is the case then the pump needs to come out.
Also need to look at the charge pump cover itself. Is it cast iron or aluminum. If aluminum it will need to be replaced with the cast iron charge pump kit due to the aluminum cover warping which is what causes the leak.