Removing Classic Engine

Boggie123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I need to remove the engine from my Hayter Hobby 41 mower. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton unit:
Model: 94502
Type: 5911-02
Code: 88072804
The frictiod disc (underneath, where the blade mounts) needs to be removed from the crank to get the engine out. I suspect it is a push fit with woodruff key (or something like that) so I soaked it in penetrating oil and made a puller, but it won't budge.
I am probably doing something wrong or missing some information/knowledge. Can anybody you help me, please?
Thanks, Ian

Attachments

• IMG_20240527_163840.jpg
    IMG_20240527_163840.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Boggie123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for this! It showed that I was not wrong and that the friction wheel is a slide on, push fit with keyway. However, mine had been on there for about 40 years, corroded together and so hard to budge that I considered carefully cutting it away from the crank with my angle grinder. Before I did this, I had a look on eBay to make sure I could find a replacement friction disc. Whilst looking, I found a chap making pullers, specifically for this job! HERE

So I bought one and whilst I waited the 2 days for delivery, I soaked the shaft/disc joint with penetrating oil, morning and evening. When the puller arrived, it was good quality and fitted well, but I had to use my long breaker bar to wind in the centre bolt that pushed on the crank, and whilst the disc started moving, this amount of force I was applying started pulling the two puller mounting bolts through the holes on the disc!. So I created some curved load spreading plates from 5mm flat bar, refitted the puller through them and tried again. Eventually, after 10 tense minutes applying significant force and expecting something to break, the friction disc let go of the crank and gradually slid off. After a proper cleanup of the crank and disc with emery cloth, the two are now ready to refit once I have mounted the engine onto my restored chassis.

Last edited: