Removing a seized PTO

arch252

Threads
Any tips from you pros on removing an electric PTO that is seized on the shaft of a 17hp Kawasaki on an LX279? The 3 arm puller won't reach around the PTO to catch on the pulley above it. I've tried the air hammer/downward pressure trick. I'm reluctant to use heat because I don't want to destroy the electric PTO. Any tips?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have to get behind the complete unit with a bearing separator
Or threat it the same way as a flywheel and put a pry bar behind the entire unit applying pressure then smack the Bolt with a hammer
This is easier to do if you stand the mower vertical but remove the battery & drain the fuel tank first .
If you have an air hammer then it will work a lot better than the big hammer .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is why I am designing my own puller as none on the market will work on the non-adjustable clutches. Now I am dealing with up to 8" PTO clutches. I just got back my new 9" cross bar from my machinist and now got to make the two puller arms.

Sometimes you can wiggle them off using two crowbars but you must keep the center bolt is place just not tighten as a stop to keep the clutch just fall off at the last second.

There also appear to be two different clutch designs. One is the Warner/Ogura adjustable and the replacement non adjustable. Neither is shown with a pulley attached to the upper side. There is a motion drive above the clutch but that is a separate pulley. Sometimes you will just have to destroy a working clutch just to get it off because someone didn't use anti-sieze compound.

arch252

Threads
Well, I destroyed a PTO and the pulley above it but it's off. Never seen anything sezied like that was. I welded extensions onto a 2 way puller to get behind the PTO but still destroyed it getting it off. It left the collar and bearing on the shaft and after I got the engine off I cut those off with a side grinder. Normally I could have that engine off in a half hour, it turned into an 8 hour job. What a mess.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well, I destroyed a PTO and the pulley above it but it's off. Never seen anything sezied like that was. I welded extensions onto a 2 way puller to get behind the PTO but still destroyed it getting it off. It left the collar and bearing on the shaft and after I got the engine off I cut those off with a side grinder. Normally I could have that engine off in a half hour, it turned into an 8 hour job. What a mess.
Yelp we do run into nightmares sometimes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not alone
When the new one goes on make sure you put some never sieze on the shaft under both pulleys
When you are servicing the mower remember to slide the PTO off around every 5 years which is a about the right time to do the same to the rear wheels

arch252

Threads
An aftermarket PTO is around $120. Fortunately I had a spare pulley and PTO off an X300. The PTO seems to be about a half inch taller and requires a longer shaft bolt but appears that it will work. Thanks Bert, after what I went through the first thing I did was cover it with anti seize.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just be aware that if it hangs lower then the belt will be a little lower & may foul on the deck when in the highest mowing position.