Removal of 1 inch steel pipe from an aluminum head

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Removal of 1 inch steel pipe from an aluminum head
What is the 143. number. Might be able cross reference it to the Tecumseh engine model and spec.

dana a

Threads
What is the 143. number. Might be able cross reference it to the Tecumseh engine model and spec.
With you knowing it was a 143 number you have been playing with this stuff for a while. It is 143 640012 and serial # is 3166E.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With you knowing it was a 143 number you have been playing with this stuff for a while. It is 143 640012 and serial # is 3166E.
Maybe...The only problem is I came in as Tecumseh was going out of business so I got only limited knowledge on them.

143-640012 is listed as a Tecumseh OH160-170016.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am going to assume you have the LMH carb on it. It has the large 4 bolt flange for the air cleaner. It came 2 ways. One with a fixed jet bowl nut and one with an adjustable main jet bowl nut. If adjustable run engine at high idle and turn needle in till engine starts to stumble lean then turn out till stumbles rich then set needle half way between the 2 settings. If engine doesn't accelerate smoothly from low idle to high idle turn screw out about 1/4 turn more. If you blow oil out the breather hose check the drain holes in the breather are not clogged. If i get time i will get some pics of the breather of my OH140. Does it have the fuel pump that screws into the carb body?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Struck.jpg

Just finished this last week. Had to clean and Redcoat the tank, replace fuel line, rebuild fuel pump, clean and rebuild carb. It has an OH160 in it

dana a

Threads
I am going to assume you have the LMH carb on it. It has the large 4 bolt flange for the air cleaner. It came 2 ways. One with a fixed jet bowl nut and one with an adjustable main jet bowl nut. If adjustable run engine at high idle and turn needle in till engine starts to stumble lean then turn out till stumbles rich then set needle half way between the 2 settings. If engine doesn't accelerate smoothly from low idle to high idle turn screw out about 1/4 turn more. If you blow oil out the breather hose check the drain holes in the breather are not clogged. If i get time i will get some pics of the breather of my OH140. Does it have the fuel pump that screws into the carb body?
My carb says Walbro on it and it has the adjustable main jet bowl nut and yes the fuel pump was screwed into the carb. It wasn't working right and I'd had it apart a couple time so I just took it off and let gravity pump the gas . When the fuel level gets down a ways and I'm going up a hill sometime it runs out of gas. Then I blow in the gas tank and fill the bowl and get off the hill. I didn't see any drain holes in the breather. I started it up a couple days ago and it ran OK and wasn't blowing out any oil. I moved the log splitter to the porch on the garage and after unhooking the splitter I noticed it was puking oil out the breather tube again. I had that happen with a flat head Briggs once. I made a gasket for the breather and those little holes were covered by the gasket and it puked oil. After some trial and error I cut out where the holes were and the puking stopped. I have a new gasket on the OH160 breather now and it is different than the one that was on it and I think that old gasket was one I made years ago after replacing the head gasket. I had bought some OH160 parts off ebay a while back and a gasket kit was with the parts and it was for more than one size engine and the breather gasket was thicker, about 1/8 inch, and covered a smaller area.
That engine on that Struck Big Job looks like mine. I assume it has the rectangular valve cover with 2 screws holding the breather and valve cover to the head. Where are those drain hole in that breather? I took pictures but I can't figure out how to reduce the size of the pictures to meet the attachment requirements.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The guy already picked up the Struck. I have a OH140 buried somewhere in the barn. If i get some time will aee if i can get a pic of the breather. The kit to rebuild the fuel pump is still available. I just did the one on the struck.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh140 bteather.jpg

Here is the breather. It is different from the other ones i have seen. This one does not have the drain holes. There is a foam piece in the breather that acts as a precipitator to separate the oil out of the mist and then i assume it runs back into the engine off the sloped piece.

dana a

Threads
View attachment 62495

Here is the breather. It is different from the other ones i have seen. This one does not have the drain holes. There is a foam piece in the breather that acts as a precipitator to separate the oil out of the mist and then i assume it runs back into the engine off the sloped piece.
That is what my breather looks like. I blew in on the breather hose and it had some restriction to it. I thought it probably should have had more restriction. I have had the breather mounted with the drain going both ways so I didn't think that would make a difference. It had been on reversed of the original position for several years and never blew oil out.