RedMax Trimmer RPM Cure

WeldGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have several RedMax trimmers. The newest models, the 2460 seems to be so choked down trying to meet emission standards they take forever to warm up and begin to run like #@$% after a couple months commercial use. I know that is a problem shared by many commercial companies and my dealer claims they need a carb cleaning and "adjustment" but it's NOT covered under warranty.

The latest symptom with our 2460s is they reach a point where they run better when held up-side-down!!!

Enough is enough.:tongue: Some experimentation has resulted in the following information:

1. Remove air filter cover to allow access to the following...
2. Remove cover over throttle linkage
3. Look down the hole in the end of the throttle shaft
You will see a white plastic plug in the shaft
4. Insert a small sheet metal screw just enough into the plastic plug
to pull the plug out of the shaft
5. You will see a brass adjuster screw in the throttle shaft
I believe this is the low speed mixture adjustment screw as the idle will speed
up considerably when adjusted
6. Look at the side of the carburetor where the fuel lines are located.
7. Locate a hole in the carb just above one of the two fuel lines.
8. The same type of white plastic plug needs to be removed from the hole
9. The brass screw under the plastic plug is the high speed mixture adjustment
10. Adjusting both screws, just like the old days, will provide a Red Max trimmer that runs like it should.
ONE WORD OF CAUTION: I suggest adjusting the high speed jet at wide open throttle a little on the RICH side after the maximum speed is reached. In other words, go PAST the point of highest RPM until the RPM falls off slightly to assure proper lubrication for the new RPM achieved from the adjustments!
11. Replace plastic plugs to keep out dirt.
NOTE: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED FOR EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. ADJUSTMENTS MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL LAWS.