Recycler (Mulcher) on Toro Timecutter

jmarwill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro Timecutter 4260 and am considering adding either a recycling (mulching) attachment or a bagger. When I cut my grass, I end up leaving large clippings on my lawn (I mow about once a week which may not be often enough but it's what I have time for). Also, when the leaves fall, I'd like to be able to get rid of them (bag) or at least make them dissappear (mulch).

I'm interested in knowing how well the Toro recycling (mulching) kit works on eliminating grass clippings and how well does this kit work with leaves? Also, what maintenance or cleaning is required with this kit?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Jeff

Threads
I don't have any experience with this machine or its attachments, but I can tell you mulch kits work better if the grass is not super long. So if you could mow more often, you would have better luck with side discharge and a mulching kit. You will probably need to go a bit slower if you get a bagger, but it should work. Both can handle leaves; a bagger will make them disappear, while a mulch kit will put them into tiny bits that are used as fertilizer for your lawn.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can not mow often enough, a mulcher or bagger is not going to help you. In fact, that even though the Toro Timecutter mulching kit or bagging system do a great job when used properly, in your situation I would not recommend it, unless you can mow more often.

Bully

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a SS4260 with the mulch kit, bought new in April. The mulch kit does a great job if the grass isn't too tall, but it will leave clumps
if it is. I usually just run over the clumps again and little slower and it dissipates the grass pretty well. Also if the grass is wet it will leave clumps.
I have not used this mower with side discharge, but I would bet the mulcher works better than side discharge. Also haven't had many leaves to try
it on, but so far, I'm impressed with this setup.

jimrs

Threads
I have the timecutter 4235 with a mulch kit. It works pretty good for my acre of yard. If it gets higher than normal a few days extra growth will cause my mower to leave some clipping in areas of small depressions. It's better than my JD tractor which left it everywhere.

I try and run over those areas again to try and spread it out but I'm mowing at 3 1/2" so it is a waste of time. I never cut below 3" even in the fall to mulch leaves so it won't pick up the leaves and mulch them. To mulch leaves you need the deck as close to the ground as possible to suck them up into the blades. If you do that then it will do a great job. 2" to 2 1/2" should do it.

I had bought a grass catcher for my JD and gave it to my son along with the mower. I had to use the catcher if I let the grass get too high and it worked good except the trips to empty it.