Recommendations - replacement string head for Ryobi corded, 10A RY41135

GrowinWeeds

Threads
  • / Recommendations - replacement string head for Ryobi corded, 10A RY41135
Suffice to say, the Ryobi motor / machine is fine. Line is much too light & used faster than I've ever seen (including a 30+ yr old electric trimmer, one line @ 0.063". There's only one section on this Ryobi spool for all line wound together - with one line out each side. I imagine it'll bind up more in really hot / cold weather.

I can't see any reason to buy this style head that won't accept .155" line. But so far, I HAVEN'T found a universal one that says will take .155. Rino Tuff sells .155 string, but I don't see a Rino fixed length head that uses it.
If I use smaller line, I'd just be stopping more often to change string - slowing work down. Because you only have a small amt of the fixed length to wear before it's too short. 0.095 line will wear out sooner than .155. The opposite of why I replaced the OEM string head.

The Ryobi bump & feed head is made to ONLY hold .80" line. It's a "speed load" head. To load, the line goes in one eyelet, then thru a hole straight across the bottom of spool & out the other eyelet. Only if there was enough plastic to drill the thru hole bigger could you maybe use bigger line w/ that spool.

But spool's limited capacity & only one compartment for all the line is why I want to replace the OEM head w/ probably one that uses 2, 3 or more short, fixed lengths of heavy line.

I hope some members have good advice to share about brands / models of these after market heads that use short, thick line pieces. Other than for co's to sell more line, I'm not sure why you'd want to buy a fixed line length type head & use string size no bigger than many bump feed heads use. The machine would easily power .105" in a (better) bump feed head.

I'm having problems finding what trimmer models several aftermarket fixed length string heads will work on - even in some manuals.
This Ryobi model 41135 has a 5/16" x 20 bolt that cutter heads screw onto. An older Echo (that uses fixed lengths of string) has a 3/8" x 20 bolt.

The Rino-Tuff Pivotrim Hybrid instructions show it has 8 different size nuts, but doesn't list any sizes. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Pivotrim-Hybrid-Universal-Trimmer-Head-16665/204601175#overlay
But, it says only accepts .08 - .095" line. I don't get it - why buy a head that handles tough line and put .08" line on it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Running line that is too heavy destroys the trimmer
The engine will always be under excessive load and the piston will carbon up in no time flat.
If it has a wire drive then that will break way too early
If it is a strait shaft then the bevel gears will wear out rapidly if not just break a tooth or two off.
I see this every day
The number 1 reason why line breaks off too often is line has gotten old
You will often see line at a very low price because of this.
Trimmer line is designed to break down rapidly when exposed to the weather and in particular UV light
It will last longest if kept under water .
Trimmer line should be matched to the size of the engine driving it
All things being equal
.065' = electric trimmers both corded * battery
.080" = battery powered & small < 25cc petrol
.095 = professional high powered battery & domestic petrol 25cc to 35 cc
.105 = petrol trimmers 35cc to 50cc
.130 = petrol over 50cc & Honda 4 strokes
.155 = large trimmers 75cc & above for heavy brushcutting.

However all lines are not equal
Most of my contractors use Trail Blazer for general trimming , Vortex for churches schools hospitals & cemetaries where noise has to be reduced and Ninja or Razor for heavy scrub
And most use a precut head like the Drangon fly head or the manual Tanaka alloy head .

As for stuff like that Rhino tuff head, toys to amuse the adel minded.
And with it as the lines are doubled, the trimmer sees it the same as a 6 line head
So if you put .085" in there the trimmer sees a load equivalent to running .155" line
In fact because there are three strands the load would be higher still

Last edited:

dougmacm

Threads
I agree with Bert in that heaver line is going to trash your trimmer.

I've got the 18V version of your Ryobi trimmer and I replaced the head with:

Arnold 490-060-0018 MAXI EDGE Universal Bump Head

It can handle up to 0.119" line, but I run 0.080" line that my trimmer is designed for.

I have a 40V Greenworks trimmer that came with this style head and it just works better than the Ryobi head. I miss the speed wind handle that the Ryobi had, but that is all I miss.

You just need to find the right 0.080" trimmer line, there are some really good ones out there (see Bert's suggestions) that last longer than others.

Doug